Staff Software QA Engineer
We are Silicon Labs. We are the leading provider of silicon, software, and solutions for a smarter, more connected world.
More About Silicon Labs
We hire the most innovative talent in the world to solve the industry’s toughest problems, providing our customers with significant advantages in performance, energy savings, connectivity, and design simplicity. Silicon Labs’ software and mixed-signal engineering teams create solutions for customers in diverse markets including the Internet of Things, (IoT), internet infrastructure, TV tuners, as well as automotive and consumer radios. Our solutions are in products from the market leaders in home automation, electric vehicles, green technology, smart TVs, and home voice control automation. We take pride in our products and in our people, and that is one of the many reasons we continue to be awarded Most Respected Public Semiconductor Company.
Silicon Labs is looking for a Software (SW) Developer in Test to plan, develop, debug embedded applications, and automate test scripts to improve the overall quality of different wireless protocol SDKs. Protocol SDK implements a standard API over the protocol stack (for example: Bluetooth Low Energy, Bluetooth-MESH, Proprietary, etc...) and peripherals, allows quicker customer application development. Each Silicon Labs wireless protocol is integrated into the Silicon Labs Gecko SDK. Most of our customers are focused on building Internet of Things (IoT) products (smart homes, smart metering, smart cities). You will be the primary SW Developer in Test responsible for providing test coverage on each SDK feature as well as maintain build-to-build quality and consistency. It would be a plus if you would have experience working with embedded SW and Firmware used to control MCU peripherals. You will frequently interact with the SW Development Team based in Budapest, Espoo, Rennes, and Boston.
How the SQA Team works
The Silicon Labs SQA team is a tight group of software professionals, with a broad understanding of Continuous Integration testing initiatives in wireless networks and a passion for innovation, quality, and providing business value through technology. We care about the business we support and take pride in the technology services we deliver and go the extra mile to “Do the Right Thing” for Silicon Labs and its customers. Members of our team appreciate that we are greater than the sum of our parts.
The IoT SQA Team's Responsibilities
The IoT Software Quality Assurance (SQA) Team at Silicon Labs which is spread across several different geographical locations, focuses on improving the overall quality of the Silicon Labs Gecko SDK Product. The Gecko SDK products contain all the wireless (Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), Bluetooth Mesh, Zigbee, OpenThread, Wi-SUN, Z-Wave, and proprietary protocols) and 32-bit microcontroller (MCU) software required to build end products for the Internet of Things (IoT) Market. Silicon Lab’s SQA Team works closely with the Software (SW) Development teams to ensure a deep understanding of the product, features, and system functionality. Silicon Lab’s SQA Team utilizes an internal test framework to automate all tests for repeatability and stability along with providing detailed test reports on each build of the product to provide our customers with quality assurance. The SQA team has decades of experience in providing high-quality embedded SW products to our customers which include the largest names in the industry.
Challenges you will solve
- Design and execute functional, negative, performance, and stress tests for Silicon Lab’s embedded wireless and MCU products.
- Work closely with the development team(s) to debug problems found during the test cycle.
- Develop automated tests so they can be run regularly as part of the continuous integration infrastructure.
- Assist in resolving customer issues by working closely with the customer support team to answer and reproduce customer-related issues.
- Emulates customer environments by working closely with the sales team and field application engineers in supporting customer’s needs and debug customer’s problems.
- Build, manage, and maintain a distributed test network.
- Simplification and automation of product deployments and platform changes
- Productivity increase of the team through identifying opportunities to automate and script daily tasks and eliminate waste in existing processes.
- You will get familiar with and automate test wireless IoT protocols such as Bluetooth, BT-Mesh, Wi-SUN, etc.
- Implement custom embedded test applications to support test automation.
- Debugging and root cause analysis.
- Monitor test results in continuous integration systems.
- Participate in the planning process and provide high-level estimates.
- Create test plans based on requirements and execute test plan reviews.
- Implement automated test scripts.
- Minimum 8 years of work experience as a test engineer in an embedded environment.
- Knowledge of embedded C programming and a high-level programming language.
- Experience with at least one of the followings: IoT protocols, RF, datacom, wired/wireless networking.
- Experience in testing in an embedded environment.
- Experience with continuous integration technique and test automation system.
Team leading and-or coordinating experience.
- Able to create and review test strategies and test plans based on requirements.
- Communicate well and work well in a cross-functional team.
- Able to multitask and able to come up to speed with new technology quickly.
We consider the following experience as a plus
- Experience with task management and bug tracking systems such as JIRA
- IoT Domain knowledge.
- Advanced ISTQB certificate is a plus.
Technologies you might meet with
Embedded C, RTOS, IAR, GCC, RF communication, Network Analyzer, Python, Java, Jenkins, Docker, Windows, Linux, GIT
Budapest Perks & Benefits
You would be working from our office in Budapest, in Graphisoft Park, next to the riverbank of the Danube. We also offer:
- annual Budapest travel card or parking in the office garage
- great cafeteria system
- opportunity to join Employment Stock Purchase Plan
- private health care access
- life and accident insurance for every employee
- contribution to a voluntary private pension fund
- possibility to meet with the executive team regularly
- supportive and multicultural office with enthusiastic, hard-working colleagues
- we prioritize the time for social activities, competitions, after work dinners and so much more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.