Software QA Engineering Director
We are Silicon Labs. We are the leading provider of silicon, software and solutions for a smarter, more connected world.
More About Silicon Labs
We hire the most innovative talent in the world to solve the industry’s toughest problems, providing our customers with significant advantages in performance, energy savings, connectivity and design simplicity. Silicon Labs’ software and mixed signal engineering teams create solutions for customers in diverse markets including the Internet of Things, (IoT), internet infrastructure, TV tuners, as well as automotive and consumer radios. Our solutions are in products from the market leaders in home automation, electric vehicles, green technology, smart TVs and home voice control automation. We take pride in our products and in our people, and that’s one of the many reasons we continue to be awarded Most Respected Public Semiconductor Company.
Silicon Labs is looking for an experienced Software Quality Assurance (SQA) or Software (SW) Development Manager to build and manage a team of SW Developers in Test. The team is focused on improving the overall quality of Silicon Labs Gecko SDK SW Product used by customers building Internet of Things (IoT) Products. You will be the responsible for all management duties (resource loading, recruiting and retaining) of a highly skilled SQA team in which every member is critical to the success of Silicon Lab’s IoT Product offering. The ideal candidate has experience building and managing SQA or SW Development teams. In addition, they should have experience working with embedded SW and Firmware used to control MCU peripherals. You will frequently interact with a co-located SW Development Team as well as with regional Program Managers and Applications Engineers. In addition, the ideal candidate shall be proficient in C, Java, and Python. We are looking for creative, flexible, pragmatic, and skilled individuals with superb communications skills and a love of problem solving in a fast-paced team environment.
How the SQA Team works
The Silicon Labs SQA team is a tight group of software professionals, with a broad understanding of Continuous Integration testing initiatives in wireless networks and a passion for innovation, quality, and providing business value through technology. We care about the business we support and take pride in the technology services we deliver and go the extra mile to “Do the Right Thing” for Silicon Labs and its customers. Members of our team appreciate that we are greater than the sum of our parts.
The IoT SQA Team's Responsibilities
The IOT Software Quality Assurance (SQA) Team at Silicon Labs which is spread across several different geographical locations, focuses on improving the overall quality of the Silicon Labs Gecko SDK Product. The Gecko SDK products contain all the wireless (Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), Bluetooth Mesh, Zigbee, OpenThread, Wi-Sun, Z-Wave, and proprietary protocols) and 32 bit micro-controller (MCU) software required to build end products for the Internet of Things (IoT) Market. Silicon Lab’s SQA Team works closely with the Software (SW) Development teams to ensure a deep understanding of the product, features and system functionality. Silicon Lab’s SQA Team utilize an internal test framework to automate all tests for repeatability and stability along with providing detailed test reports on each build of the product to provide our customers with quality assurance. The SQA team has decades of experience in providing high quality embedded SW products to our customers which include the largest names in the industry.
Challenges you will solve:
- Manage a team of SW Developers in Test focused on delivering high quality SW Products
- Develop productivity measures and team dashboards to track progress
- Identify execution risks and escalate product issues
- Design and implement SQA process and efficiency improvements
- Work with product marketing and key customers to reproduce issues and improve understanding of use scenarios
- Balance innovation with execution to ensure that the projects are delivered in a timely manner.
- Drive process changes to enable more efficient execution within the team.
Technologies we use:
- Java, Junit, Python, Jenkins, Docker, Cloud Based Computing, SQL Database, Windows, Linux, Shell, Bash, GIT
- Build, manage, recruit and retain a team of SW Developers in Test focused on improving the quality of Silicon Labs Gecko SDK Product
- Develop, maintain and operate with team budget constraints
- Drive strategic, cross functional initiatives to improve SQA operational performance
- Create management Dashboards to provide accurate status to Executives as well as Direct Reports
- Work closely with Program Management and Product Marketing to define SW Releases
- Work with DevOps to understand and describe key test requirements of the Product
- Work closely with development team(s) to debug problems found during the test cycle
- Report Test Results and Test Reports for customer consumption
- Able to work in Agile workflow
- 5+ years of work experience as a SW Developer or SW Developer in Test
- 7+ years as a SQA or SW Development Manager
- Proficient in resource management tools like Jira, Microsoft Project or similar.
- Possess a strong sense of responsibility and an ability to work independently under minimal supervisiion
- Communicate well and work well in a small cross-functional team
We consider the following experience as a plus
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD).
- Knowledge of version control systems, such as git.
- Knowledge in programming languages such as C++ or Java, as well as scripting languages such as Perl, Python, or Tcl Expect
- Data communications and networking.
Education and/or Experience
Minimum of Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science from four-year college or university preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Budapest Perks & Benefits
You would be working from our office in Budapest, in Graphisoft Park, next to the riverbank of the Danube. We also offer:
- annual Budapest travel card or parking in the office garage
- great cafeteria system
- opportunity to join Employment Stock Purchase Plan
- private health care access
- life and accident insurance for every employee
- contribution to a voluntary private pension fund
- possibility to meet with the executive team regularly
- supportive and multicultural office with enthusiastic, hard-working colleagues
- we prioritize the time for social activities, competitions, after work dinners and so much more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Exciting? We think so!! If you do too, come talk with us!