Software Development Manager (Superviseur de développement logiciel)
Location: Montreal (Old Montreal)
We are Silicon Labs. We are the leading provider of silicon, software, and solutions for a smarter, more connected world.
We hire the most innovative talent in the world to solve the industry’s toughest problems, providing our customers with significant advantages in performance, energy savings, connectivity and design simplicity. Silicon Labs’ software and mixed signal engineering teams create solutions for customers in diverse markets including the Internet of Things (IoT), internet infrastructure, TV tuners, as well as automotive and consumer radios. Our solutions are in products from the market leaders in home automation, electric vehicles, green technology, smart TVs, and home voice control automation. We take pride in our products and in our people, and that’s one of the many reasons we continue to be awarded Most Respected Public Semiconductor Company by the Global Semiconductor Alliance.
In Montreal, our office welcomes several varied teams belonging to the IoT Software group, including the Platform team, the Wireless and Tools team, the Software Quality team, Application specialists and project management. We take great pride in the atmosphere in our workplace and value collaboration and good communication.
The IoT Platform Software team in Montreal is seeking a Software Development Manager to supervise and manage the development team working on bringing up our software to run on new Silicon Labs System-on-Chips (SoCs).
Learn more about the products here:
You will be part of a highly-skilled and tight-knit team where everyone can have significant impact on the end product. Good collaboration, room for learning and growing as well as knowledge sharing and great exchanges are also part of the Montreal team’s DNA. We strive to strike a good work/life balance and make our environment welcoming and fun, so we seek someone whose technical skills are matched by their interpersonal skills.
This position reports to a Senior Software Development Manager, located in Montreal as well.
- Provide leadership and people management for the team
- Manage and mentor team members
- Lead an agile team to deliver new features
- Define MCU capabilities of IoT ICs
- Be a technical leader on MCU software development, for new ICs and drivers in particular
- Enable the launch of new cutting edge IoT ICs
- Deliver SDK software to enable customers to build IoT products
- Build plans for your team to deliver complex new features based on team capacity and productivity
- Balance innovation with execution to ensure that the projects are delivered in a timely manner
- Strive for continuous improvements to testing infrastructure, validation process, and code reliability
- Assess the quality of the code for optimal resource utilization, reliability, performance, and energy efficiency
- Uphold a high standard of software quality
- Drive new process changes within IoT Platform Software to enable more efficient execution of our teams
- 5+ years of hands-on embedded software development
- 2+ years in a software leadership role such as Manager or Technical Lead
- Strong background in developing and debugging resource-constrained, real-time, embedded systems
- Strong C language skills
- Experience in design, implementation and optimization of MCU peripheral (UART, SPI, GPIO, I2C, RTC, DMA, Watchdog, etc.) drivers in C
- Experience with continuous integration methods and tools (Jenkins, for example)
- Detailed understanding and hands-on experience in software development lifecycle and methodologies, including traditional Agile and waterfall methods
- Experience in use of modern project management tools (Confluence, Jira, Portfolio Manager, MS Project, etc).
- Ability and desire to contribute new ideas, build consensus, and drive tasks to completion
- Able to work autonomously while being rigorous and attentive to details
- Experience leading interviews for software developer positions
- Excellent communication skills
- Mental agility to quickly understand new ideas in novel domains
- Fluent in both French and English
- Degree in Electrical Engineering, Informatics Engineering, Computer Science, or similar
- Experience specifying hardware requirements and working with hardware engineers.
- Basic understanding of hardware IP architecture, development and verification.
- Understanding of hardware vs. software tradeoffs
- Knowledge of ARM architecture and embedded compilers
- Experience with one or more RTOS – Micrium µC/OS or FreeRTOS, for example
- Experience with recruiting and building dynamic software teams
- Experience working within a global organization.
- Knowledge of Python and/or assembly.
- Proficiency with electronics bench test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, etc
Benefits & Perks at Silicon Labs
- Flexible work week
- Highly competitive salary
- Quarterly profit sharing bonuses
- RRSP contribution match
- Equity Reward (stock units)
- Insurance plans
- Additional parental leave compensation
- Paid volunteer days
- Free coffee & snacks
- Lunch and learn
- Monthly company updates with our CEO
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.