Design Engineer Intern - Summer 2020
More About Silicon Labs:
We are Silicon Labs. We are the leading provider of silicon, software and solutions for a smarter, more connected world.
We hire the most innovative talent in the world to solve the industry’s toughest problems, providing our customers with significant advantages in performance, energy savings, connectivity and design simplicity. Silicon Labs’ software and mixed signal engineering teams create solutions for customers in diverse markets including the Internet of Things, (IoT), internet infrastructure, TV tuners, as well as automotive and consumer radios. Our solutions are in products from the market leaders in home automation, electric vehicles, green technology, smart TVs and home voice control automation. We take pride in our products and in our people, and that’s one of the many reasons we continue to be awarded Most Respected Public Semiconductor Company by the Global Semiconductor Alliance.
Our Design Engineer Interns, solve real-world problems within a small, collaborative team of the industry’s most innovative talent. As a Silicon Labs Intern, you will help develop next-generation ICs for the industry’s leading products in IoT and Infrastructure and Automotive (I&A) all while being mentored and closely guided by the best engineers who have a vested interest in your success. And don’t worry, you’ll still have plenty of opportunities to learn, network, and develop new skills through our social events, development lectures, and volunteer opportunities.
Excited? See what it’s like to be a part of the Silicon Labs Team
What You’ll Do
Our intern projects are designed to help you to grow your skill set while making meaningful contributions to our business. As a Design Intern, you’ll work on challenging mixed signal, analog, devices ranging from low-power microcontrollers, to magnetic and photo-sensors, to connected devices supporting Wi-Fi, Bluetooth LE, Zigbee, Thread, Z-wave and many proprietary protocols.
Here are just a few of the challenges you might get to tackle:
- Work on low power design in a novel power management chip and design circuits that achieve maximum power efficiency with minimum design & fabrication costs.
- Develop highly integrated mixed signal SoCs for the broad-based microcontroller market segment for IoT solutions. At the end of the summer, you can hold a final design review and share your project results with our top-tier design team.
- Build extremely high performance and flexible clock generation and synchronization ICs and solutions for Networking and high-performance clocking applications. You will also competitive analysis, supporting product definition, package analysis, product verification, device characterization, and customer support.
Who You Are
You are an innovator, builder, and tinkerer. You have a curious mind and a drive to succeed. You want to work with a global team of technology enthusiasts and design pioneers. Here’s what you need:
- Completion of 2+ years of study
- Enrollment in MS/PhD Electrical or Computer Engineering degree plan
- Coursework in Logic Design, Computer Architecture, VLSI, Device Physics, Analog/Mixed Signal IC design, or related topics
- A strong knowledge of Concepts, implementation, simulation, and verification in SoC Design, Communications Systems, RF and Integrated circuit design
- You have some combination of the following skills:
- digital signal processing
- low-power techniques
- Electromagnetic modelling and interference mitigation techniques
- Data conversion, op amps, power management, regulators, oscillators, low power techniques, high precision techniques, noise analysis, PLLs
- Clock and data recovery
What’s in a World-Class Internship?
Apply what you’ve learned in school to build technology that solves some of the planet’s most significant challenges. You will join a community of fellow interns and alumni who engage and empower your excellence. Take it from our previous interns:
“My manager and mentor are very smart and nice. I can come to them whenever I have question. They advised me not only about my work, but also about my life and career. I really learned a lot.” - 2019 Design Engineer Intern
"There wasn't a week where I didn't learn something valuable to my academic/professional career, which I am very thankful..The project topics are very interesting to me. The culture feels very healthy and kind." - 2019 Design Engineer Intern
Curious for more feedback? Check out our Glassdoor (bit.ly/SilabsGlassdoor)
bit.ly/SilabsUR -> Discover why we attract the best and brightest!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.