IoT Systems Engineer
How Silicon Labs Works
We are Silicon Labs. We are the leading provider of silicon, software and solutions for a smarter, more connected world.
We hire the most innovative talent in the world to solve the industry’s toughest problems, providing our customers with significant advantages in performance, energy savings, connectivity and design simplicity. Silicon Labs’ software and mixed signal engineering teams create solutions for customers in diverse markets including the Internet of Things (IoT), internet infrastructure, TV tuners, as well as automotive and consumer radios. Our solutions are in products from the market leaders in home automation, electric vehicles, green technology, smart TVs and home voice control automation. We take pride in our products and in our people, and that’s one of the many reasons we continue to be awarded Most Respected Public Semiconductor Company by the Global Semiconductor Alliance.
Meet the Team
Silicon Labs IoT Systems Team’s mission is to ensure Silicon Labs IoT products have the right features and technologies to win in our target segments. The team is responsible for generating technical requirements for our products by researching applications from the system level to the feature level. IoT products produced by Silicon Labs combine an energy-friendly MCU with a highly integrated radio transceiver. These devices are well suited for a variety of wireless applications across a wide range of frequencies, wireless protocols, and power footprints.
This role researches targeted applications ( e.g. Connected Lighting, Electronic Shelf Labels) or technologies ( e.g. Indoor location services, AI/ML-based voice keyword detection) and generates requirements to drive our IoT hardware and software roadmaps. Requirements are created via researching standards, tearing down end-applications, engaging our customer’s engineering teams, and performing feasibility studies of new system-level solutions or optimizations. These requirements are documented in our requirements management tool and used to develop our product roadmap.
In addition to requirements generation and documentation, this role will identify and prototype high-value innovations, generate internal collateral, train internal audiences, and publish technical whitepapers.
Your responsibilities will include
- Collaborating with Product Marketing to guide our technical product roadmap
- Collaboration with engineers at our driver customers
- End-application teardown analysis
- Technical research on standards and applications
- Feasibility studies of potential system-level innovations
- Using a requirements management tool to capture market and product requirements and track them through development
- Helping to train internal audiences on new applications, features, and technologies
- Providing the deepest level of technical support to customer-facing teams
- Providing mentorship and guidance to less experienced team members
Skills You’ll need
- Minimum Qualifications
- A strong understanding of embedded microcontroller architectures and features
- A good understanding of embedded application design: requirement analysis, schematic/PCB design, component selection, firmware development, bench evaluation, and debugging
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Must be comfortable explaining technical concepts to a wide range of audiences, including senior engineering leaders.
- Experience using lab equipment: oscilloscopes, multimeters, spectrum analyzers, signal generators, power supplies, power analyzers, etc.
- MSEE/CPE plus 5 years of experience or BSEE/BSCE plus 7 years of experience
- Preferred Qualifications
- Experience in the semiconductor industry
- Experience with RF applications
- A strong understanding of embedded microcontroller datasheet specifications
- Knowledge of IoT wireless standards (Zigbee, BLE, Wi-Fi, Z-wave, Wi-Sun, LoRa, etc.)
- Experience with requirements generation and documentation
Perks & Benefits at Silicon Labs:
- Modern office space in a central location in the Alberga Business Park, Leppävaara
- Free covered parking
- Free snacks and beverages
- Extensive occupational health care and supplementary medical expense coverage for treatments performed by specialist physicians
- Flexible working hours
- Mobile phone
- Lunch benefit
- Smartum Exercise & Culture benefit
- Quarterly celebrations / holiday parties
- 3 paid volunteer days per year
- Employment Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Paid parental leave (maternity 3 months, paternity 2 weeks), additional parental leaves will be in accordance with legislation
- Other Workplace Activities
- Innovation Events – Free Your Gecko
- Monthly “Lunch & Learn” opportunities
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.