Software Engineering Intern
Ever heard of Shutterfly? If you have been presented with a beautiful Photobook printed by a family member, or if your family have received life’s joy in a form of gorgeous holiday cards, you’ve most likely been touched by Shutterfly’s products one way or another.
This is an exciting time for Shutterfly. Backed by a track record of 10+ years of annual growth, Shutterfly has become the industry leader in personalized eCommerce by becoming the largest 4-color print production company in the country. We produce high quality and beautiful personalized goods to Share Life's Joy, from holiday greeting cards, to photo books, home décor, stationery and much more!
The Shutterfly Photos group is interested in you! We are looking for candidates that are on track to become stellar software engineers while helping us drive a next generation Photos platform that serves billions of photos uploaded to Shutterfly over the course of our company’s presence. We deliver photos in seamlessly and at scale, dealing with petabytes of photo binaries.
By joining the internship program on the Photos team, we will be onboarding you quickly to engage in an Agile environment that focuses on deliverables within the Shutterfly Photos backend API systems, which includes developing features, improving our toolset, helping us get closer to continuous integration, improving quality, and improving our deployment to help Shutterfly Photos deliver the best possible experience to our paying customers.
- To complete between 3-4 small projects focused on improving the Photos Services platform by helping improve the tools that build up the platform. Extra credits on partnering up with Senior Engineers with mid-to-large sized Cloud driven projects
- Deliver the assigned initiatives at the end of the internship by deploying code out to production, and demonstrate the completed work products to a group of cross functional team members
- Understand the company vision, make a positive impact with the Shutterfly team and reach out across a reasonable number of groups to gain a better understanding of company operations, enabling you to explore gainful employment opportunities at Shutterfly in the future
- Take ownership on resolving assigned work items and focus on work-related assignments, on time and with quality
- Effectively communicate upwards and laterally regarding work estimates, work progress, blockers, issues and feedback, in a professional manner
- Professional mannerism fitting to a Bay Area work culture of a publicly traded company that’s held accountable for their actions and fiscally responsible to their shareholders
Key Skills and Experience:
- Students attending both a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or a related field are welcomed. Work experience is a plus
- Exposure to developing robust, highly-available and distributed systems, is a plus
- Coding in application frameworks will be desired
- Some experience with developing in the Cloud such as AWS
- Familiarity with relational databases like MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Basic understanding of protocols such as IP/v6, TCP, HTTP, REST, JSON RPC, HTTP/S, etc.
- Basic understanding of multi-layered systems such as Web Servers, Application Servers, Caches, CDNs, Cloud Storage Services and Databases.
- Basic understanding of network systems such DNS, Load Balancers, Firewalls, Routers, Switches, DMZs.