Data Engineering Intern
Seeking a motivated and passionate Intern with solid computer science fundamentals to make a significant contribution to the Shutterfly Data Architecture and Engineering team. This position will report to the Manager, Web Apps Engineering in Redwood City, CA. This is a 12 week Summer 2019 internship.
The Data Architecture and Engineering team is part of Shared Services Group. This team is responsible for designing and construction of efficient data sourcing platform which is used by different key stake holders at the company. The data infrastructure consists of creating data pipelines using map reduce systems, as well as the technology to report on their performance, validation of data and generalized automation of tasks. We use the latest in industry standard Java technology at the core, and the latest trends in cloud computing (i.e. EMR, AWS Data Pipeline). Come and join the effort in creating the next generation data infrastructure for the company!
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, operations, and other members of the project team in requirements specification, feasibility analysis, detailed engineering analysis and launch planning
- Design and development of data infrastructure components.
- Contribute to best practices by helping author unit tests and automated validation of data.
- Work with middleware, enterprise buses and queues to help make services highly scalable and asynchronous in nature
- Participate in design reviews of infrastructure and other components
- Ensure services are highly scalable to handle large traffic with very low latency
Key Skills and Experience
- Strong systems knowledge, installing, configuring software on Linux environments
- Some experience with map reduce technologies
- Expertise in relational databases (one of Oracle/MySQL/Postgres) and SQL.
- Comfortable with HTML5, CSS3 and general web application development
- Knowledge of web services and general services design, experience a plus
- Basic knowledge of the HTTP protocol
- Experience with all or some of the following technology is a plus – Git, Perforce, MongoDB, Redis, Memecached, Java Spring framework, Eclipse, IntelliJ or other IDE
- Solid understanding of how the web and internet works
- Must be comfortable and experienced at the Unix/Linux command line
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- BS/MS in Computer Science or Engineering highly desirable
- Must have a positive, Can Do! Attitude and willing to have fun while working