Director, Program Portfolio Management
The Director, Program Portfolio Management (PPM) is accountable for ensuring that Shutterfly’s Enterprise Information Services (EIS) organization delivers the right things, at the right time, for the right investment, and in the right way, across the enterprise by applying Lean Agile and systems thinking approaches to strategy and investment funding, Agile portfolio operations, and governance. Reporting to the CIO, this position will be responsible for:
- Providing PMO and Release Train Engineer (RTE) support for key EIS programs.
- Leading the governance of Enterprise Information Services (EIS) initiatives and spend, and
- Managing EIS’ roadmap and portfolio of technology services suppliers.
This position will help build strong and productive relationships with all business leaders, ensuring that EIS is positioned as a business enabler and trusted partner. This position will also be accountable for ensuring that EIS’ delivery of technology solutions and enhancements is business outcome-focused, agile, and leverages good organizational change management practices to ensure sustainable success.
- Lead the integrated, cross-functional execution of major technology programs.
- Coordinate the cross-cutting dependencies and requirements of multiple business capability areas, each with its own business partners and applications leader/team, including: Finance, Supply Chain, Human Capital Management, IT Service Management, Collaboration, End-User Enablement, etc.
- Promote good practices and standardization of approach for agile requirements definition, evaluation of technology solution options, and program delivery activities across each business capability area.
- Partner with the Architecture team to ensure the portfolio of programs and technologies aligns with our enterprise technology roadmap.
- Enable strategic business-IT alignment by leading the governance of Shutterfly’s full portfolio of EIS initiatives and spend; includes facilitating the EIS Steering Committee, composed of SVP & VP-level business partners, and quarterly business reviews (QBRs) with each major function / business unit as appropriate.
- Maintain oversight of all IT programs, ensuring that commitments are property planned, staffed, monitored, and reported.
- Help define technology investment parameters, priorities and risks for enterprise-wide IT initiatives to maximize the return on investment.
- Ensure the creation of solid business cases that include run-rate benefits, required CapEx and OpEx investment, and net Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) across EIS and its business partners; evaluate the achievement of each business case and lead program retrospectives.
- Lead, model, and educate technology and business delivery teams in good practices from the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe), etc.
- Provide transparency and enable collaboration between the EIS organization and its business partners.
- Manage vendor relationship, including conducting QBRs (Quarterly Business Reviews) as necessary to monitor and drive performance, value, and the on-going health of the partnership.
- Establish metrics for managing IT effectiveness and measuring IT’s impact on the business.
- Establish appropriate service levels and the processes to ensure that KPIs are met.
- Facilitate the evaluation, recommendation, and engagement of suppliers / service partners across the IT services spectrum.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Business Relationship Management
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse leaders, communicate an IT vision and strategy across levels of the organization and build consensus around key initiatives and projects.
- Possesses exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written. Able to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent negotiating skills with internal customers and external service providers.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, can handle the unexpected with flexibility.
- A team player who favors a collaborative approach when working with internal and external providers.
- Proven ability to build trust with others through a commitment to the highest ethical and professional standards.
- A high energy leader who is tenacious and passionate about reaching their goals.
Program Portfolio Management
- Experience leading complex major change initiatives.
- Demonstrated skills in change management.
- Experience designing and managing an effective IT governance framework across the spectrum of IT service delivery.
- Excellent program management skills and budget oversight of $10MM+.
- Must have experience leading systems implementations to a successful conclusion.
- Must have clear understanding of the systems development lifecycle (SDLC) as applied to SAP ERP.
- Must have proven experience with Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) and/or other agile delivery plus ITIL / IT Service Management processes but not be a zealot about any particular framework.
- Six Sigma, Lean or other business process improvement training or education is highly desired.
Supplier Management, Financial Management, etc.
- Possesses strong financial/business acumen and ability to understand and logically work through business problems to proper resolution.
- Strong background in operational and capital finances, and IT budget development.
- Experience required in the selection and successful management of on-going relationships with multiple service providers (technology and services – including non-US based off-shore service providers).
- Builds strong technology vendor partnerships and is able to manage multiple vendor relationships to ensure the best performance and financial return.
Professional Experience and Education
- 15+ years of IT technology and business experience.
- 5+ years of management experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or related field (advance degree desirable).
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong time management and problem solving skills.
- Must have a strong leadership track record, both formally and via cross-functional influence.
- Must have ability to serve as a change agent and influence business direction.
- Experience with SAP S/4HANA, SuccessFactors, Ariba, Concur, and IBP is highly desired.
- Experience with SaaS solutions such as Salesforce and ServiceNow is highly desired.