New Grad - Software Engineer Intern
Seeking a passionate and experienced New Grad - Software Engineer Intern with solid computer science fundamentals to make a significant contribution to the Shutterfly Site and Store team. This position will report to Director, Web Engineering in Redwood City, CA. This is for a 10 – 12 week internship that will begin in August or September 2018.
The Shutterfly Site and Store team is responsible for various site and store functions including performance, search, categories, home page etc., providing the best user experience to customers. The team also works on a number of other initiatives that span from cross-cutting site initiatives to making the site scalable and performant.
- Collaborate with product managers, engineers, operations, and other members of the project team in requirements specification, feasibility analysis, detailed engineering analysis and launch planning
- Design and development of highly dynamic and interactive Web 2.0 web-based UI
- Participate in reviewing site search and other functionalities and identifying strategic and tactical improvements
- Leverage APM tools to create strategies for improving site reliability and scalability.
- Design and build MVC applications to support core Shutterfly features, applications and products
- Work with middleware applications to implement applications, features and products for Shutterfly’s website
- Ensure services are highly scalable to handle large traffic with very low latency
- Design and development of the Shutterfly front-end for our next-generation sharing environment used by millions of users
Key Skills and Experience
- Recent college graduate with a BS/MS in Computer Science or Engineering highly desirable
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms and design patterns
- Strong object oriented design and modeling in Java or other OO languages
- Experience in relational databases (one of Oracle/MySQL/Postgres) and SQL.
- Knowledge of Front end technologies like ReactJS, Angular is a plus.
- Knowledge of web services and general services design, experience a plus
- Basic knowledge of the HTTP protocol
- Experience with Application Performance Monitoring tools like AppDynamics, NewRelic etc is a plus
- Experience with web and mobile application development a plus
- Experience in some of the following technology is a plus – Git, Perforce, MongoDB, Redis, Memecached, Java Spring framework, Eclipse, IntelliJ or other IDE
- Solid understanding of how the web and internet works
- Must be comfortable at the Unix/Linux command line
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have a positive, Can Do! Attitude and willing to have fun while working