This role will be primarily responsible for supervising & reviewing the timely and accurate processing of semi-monthly and bi-weekly payrolls, resolving day-to-day payroll issues, addressing all payroll-related inquiries, supporting the month-end close process, and ensuring SOX compliance. The ideal candidate must be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, is extremely detail-oriented, and is able to communicate and collaborate effectively with various departments.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the supervision, monitoring and career development of the Payroll Administrator functions whose responsibilities require the timely and accurate processing of all employee payments related to transactions involving new hires, termination, special pay, deductions, garnishments and any other pay related modifications.
- Ensure work is distributed, balanced, reported and supported amongst the Administrator(s) to meet functional objectives/metrics.
- Serve as back-up and overflow payroll processor / administrator to ensure payroll deliverables are met in a timely manner.
- Provide sufficient internal customer support for the transactions being processed and address all general payroll inquiries in a timely manner.
- Monitor the team performance and assist the Payroll Manager with quarterly performance appraisals and identify and develop team goals and objectives.
- Train and mentor assigned staff in payroll, personnel practices, and procedures.
- Provide updates to Management on a weekly basis on metrics and issues.
- Ensure all calculations are validated for each payroll cycle (on and off-cycle) and control reports are reviewed and signed-off.
- Review and verify payroll updates as required from interface files or manual updates.
- Provide support as needed for month-end journal entries for wage, bonus, stock, and other payroll related transactions.
- Provide support as needed for the reconciliation of payroll and benefits general ledger accounts on a monthly basis.
- Assist with various ad hoc reports and query requests from Accounting, FP&A, Tax, SOX, and HR.
- Ensure proper document retention process and policy for all new payroll records for all new hires, terminations, salary increases, deductions, direct deposit, earnings and W-4, and other related items.
- Document workflow and work procedures.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs other projects or miscellaneous duties as requested or assigned.
- Associates in Accounting; B.S. degree with emphasis in Accounting/Finance preferred.
- 4-7yrs of accounting and payroll processing experience preferred with a solid understanding of payroll systems and processes.
- In-depth knowledge of payroll processing software (e.g. Workday, Kronos Workforce Ready, SAP etc.).
Other (knowledge, skills, and abilities):
- Responsible for understanding the end-to-end processing of Payroll as well as the Time Reporting Systems and how the data interfaces into Payroll and downstream interfaces.
- This role must demonstrate a basic understanding of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and basic understanding of organizational industry standards, specific internal control concepts and principles.
- Working knowledge of multi-state payroll and tax, including but not limited to federal, state, & local taxes, and non-routine items such as visas, domestic partner imputed income, stock compensation, etc.
- Experience with payroll system conversions preferred.
- MS Office and basic computer skills proficiency required.
- High degree of professionalism to maintain highly confidential information and effectively collaborate and resolve cross-functional issues.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills to be able to work independently and as a team player.
The physical requirements described here must be met by an employee to successfully perform the primary duties and responsibilities.
When performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, stand, walk, bend, squat, climb, kneel, crawl, twist, balance, reach, use hands and fingers to perform repetitive tasks and assemble/disassemble equipment. The employee must be able to frequently lift and move up to 5 pounds (and occasionally lift and move up to 10 pounds).