Sr. Manager, Global Payroll
Shutterfly is continuing to scale its accounting and reporting organization and we are looking for a Sr. Manager, Global Payroll who wants to make an immediate impact. This position will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of payroll service delivery to ensure timely and accurate payment. The core responsibilities include processing regular and off-cycle payment runs, supporting tax matters, and continually handling administration of new, existing and separated employees. In addition, this position plays a critical role in partnering with HR, Accounting, and FP&A to accomplish a variety of other monthly and quarterly close process steps, ad-hoc analysis, SOX compliance, and acquisition integration projects.
- Ensure the accurate and timely processing of the bi-weekly and semi-monthly payroll, and payroll related to stock transactions, along with any required garnishments, benefits, and taxes to employees consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate organization-wide payroll policies and processes regarding earnings, deductions, time keeping as well as government compliance reporting.
- Collaborates with the Director and Corporate Controller to evaluate and analyze existing payroll policies and procedures and implements changes and/or quality control measures leading to best-practice operations
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local laws as well as company policy and procedures regarding payroll-related activities
- Ensure that systems and processes correctly compute and record time, earnings, employee benefits, special deductions, mandated benefits, taxes, garnishments, court orders, and other items that affect net pay and/or company liability
- Collaborates with the Human Resources Department to ensure systems are set-up and updated to reflect current employee data, including wages, deductions, PTO accruals, garnishments, etc.
- Studies existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements and advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains confidentiality of sensitive employee data; ensuring all payroll information, files and records are maintained in accordance with federal, state, and local laws and company policies.
- Year-end processing of tax documents (e.g. W2's, T4's, T4A's) and correspondence with tax agencies
- Participate in monthly and quarterly accounting close process; create and review payroll related JE’s, reconcile and maintain payroll balance sheet accounts, perform ad hoc analysis to FP&A, provide quarterly and annual schedules and supporting information to external auditors as needed
- Build and manage a high performing associate workforce that maintains a strong "client service" focus and culture with a strong sense of pride
- Provides regular and effective verbal coaching and development opportunities, to team members
- Finance or Accounting degree highly preferred
- Certified Payroll Professional certificate is desired.
- 7+ years in Payroll related field with a minimum of 2 years supervisory position.
- Experience with ADP PCPW Kronos and/or Workforce Now and EZLM preferred.
- Ability to operate independently at times with the full confidence of senior management.
- Excellent leadership skills that can motivate a group to work together for common goals and inspire potential.
- Understanding and application of IRS, federal, and state rules related to salaries, wages, taxes, benefits, voluntary deductions, documentation retention requirements, and annual filings.
- Strong knowledge of federal and state wage and hour laws, as well as payroll and government reporting procedures, including knowledge of garnishment, levy and child support processing.
- Excellent customer service skills with an ability to effectively handle and resolve employee inquiries and issues. Skills:
- Strong computer skills (ADP, Workday, and SAP preferred)
- Strong Excel ( formula building, pivot tables, etc.)
- Prior U.S. multi-state payroll and international payroll experience required
- Strong oral and written communication with effective interpersonal and relationship management skills to engage individuals at all levels in the organization and outside contacts
- Flexible and adaptable to a dynamic environment