Director, Financial and HCM Applications
Location preference is Minneapolis, MN area.
The Director, Financial and HCM Applications leads the enterprise applications team charged with developing and supporting many of our Finance, Accounting, and Control applications as well as leading the Enterprise Information Services (EIS) organization’s collaboration with HR and Payroll on our enterprise roadmap for human capital management (HCM) applications. Reporting to the CIO, this enterprise applications leadership role is responsible for defining and driving the roadmap for Financials, Procurement, and HCM technologies by working with leaders within the Finance (Accounting, FP&A, Payroll, Tax & Treasury) and HR functions and partnering closely with colleagues within the enterprise applications team, including our Portfolio & Architecture, Enterprise Performance Management, and Supply Chain applications teams. This role leads application design, development, deployment, and support; ensures effectiveness of business applications operation and support; and oversees major application improvement initiatives. This individual will build strong relationships with business function leaders, process owners, and key stakeholders, to ensure alignment of enterprise application strategy to business objectives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead, develop, and mentor the Financials and HCM applications team.
- Direct business application strategy, delivery, and support focused on Financials, Procurement, and Human Capital Management (HCM), including:
- Maintain broad understanding of business workflows, processes, and strategies,
- Define and drive application portfolio and lifecycle strategy,
- Provide leadership in exploring and analyzing new application functionality.
- Develop and review business process and technical designs to ensure appropriate use of technology,
- Lead business analysis and the definition of thorough and accurate business requirements,
- Deliver enhancements and new solutions on time and on budget,
- Ensure that system issues and enhancement requests are prioritized and addressed in line with business objectives,
- Ensure that test plans and training plans are designed and executed thoroughly and successfully,
- Ensure that all required system and user documentation is created accurately,
- Ensure that end-users receive appropriate training and existing documentation is updated accurately.
- Promote and oversee relationships with business partners, ensuring they view enterprise IT as proactive and responsive to business needs.
- Build capability and self-sufficiency within the end-user population and foster an environment of continual process improvement.
- Ensure compliance across applications portfolio, in line with financial and regulatory controls.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications
- Must have experience with SAP’s S/4HANA Cloud ERP, private edition; SAP SuccessFactors; Ariba; and Concur
- Experience with solutions including OpenText, Workday, Kronos, and Hyperion is highly desirable.
- Proven success in leading business transformation initiatives, including migrations to cloud ERP.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a complex portfolio of business applications at an enterprise level.
- Proven experience managing hybrid (onshore and offshore) development and support teams.
- Track record of success in delivering results through large-scale application projects.
- Demonstrated ability to build partnerships within the IT organization and across business functions.
- Effective and influential presentation and communication skills.
- Strong understanding of software architecture, design, and development methodologies (i.e. SDLC, AGILE, SAFe, etc.)
- Knowledgeable in industry, business function, and system best practices.
- Knowledgeable in GAAP and financial reporting for a public company.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in a technical background: Computer Science, Information Systems, Electrical Engineering, or related IT field
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA) preferred.
- 15+ years’ experience leading application support, development, and delivery teams in a complex business operation.
- 7+ years’ experience in a senior IT applications leadership role (Director / VP of Applications).
- 7+ years’ experience managing design, development and implementation of enterprise systems (ERP).