Manager, Database Engineering
Shutterfly is seeking a strong technical manager to be instrumental in the evolution of the Database Engineering team as we continue to move our databases to the Cloud.
In this role, you will have responsibility for planning, prioritizing, and executing daily operational database management functions, in addition to driving our cloud migration architecture and strategy through collaboration with distributed engineering teams.
You should have a rich, multifaceted background encompassing multiplatform database architecture skills, managing and mentoring individual contributors, and leading complex database engineering projects with a relentlessly proactive and collaborative style. Excellent prioritization, planning, communication, documentation, and people management skills are all essential qualities.
• Lead and empower the team of database engineers responsible for existing data center and cloud-based database systems reliability
• Enable the growth and development of individual members, and of the overall team identity, performance, and quality
• Drive database cloud architecture and migration initiatives, producing strategic and tactical frameworks to inform engineers on cloud database best practice migrations and services
• Partner with engineering teams in web, manufacturing, finance, marketing, and data sciences to realize and support new database requirements
• Define, refine, and improve standards and controls around database and data design, data lifecycle, and compliance
• Strive to find and execute opportunities to introduce or improve policies, process, and automation
Experience and Qualifications
• Thorough knowledge of the core components of the AWS cloud infrastructure
• Deep understanding of native AWS cloud database services and complementary services (DMS, streams/pipelines, s3, Athena, lambda, etc.)
• Expertise in relational and NoSQL database design and architecture, and capacity and scalability planning
• Experience migrating databases from data centers to the Cloud
• Mentoring, empowering, and enabling direct reports and team synergy
• Several years of hands on experience administering relational and NoSQL DBMSs such as Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB, Postgres
• Strong understanding of regulatory compliance, and of financial forecasting/modelling
• Experience in implementing and harmonizing monitoring, metrics for KPIs, and alerting
• BS/MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline