Shutterfly is hiring an experienced Creative Director to join our dynamic in-house agency based in Minneapolis, MN. We are standing up a new team that will continue to evolve the beloved Shutterfly brand legacy. You’ll be joining us mid evolution to help continue to shape and build the team. This new team is becoming a center of creative excellence comprised of Creative and Art Directors, Designers, Copywriters, Visual Designers and inhouse Photo and Production Studio teams.
Not only can you lead digital content execution at scale work itself, but you are also known for your exceptional leadership skills, having led multiple teams, campaigns, and projects at a prominent external or in-house agency. You inspire, coach, and develop talent and are known for empowering your staff. You love working across a variety of departments, building strong relationships and connecting chains of communication to lead to excellent project outcomes. Your natural curiosity drives you to understand the business as a whole and means you stay ahead of the curve creatively._
As a Creative Director, you will be responsible for developing creative concepts and integrated campaigns for our ecommerce brands and target audiences. This role requires someone with strong brand and marketing campaign experience with the ability to take concept through to detailed execution across channels, never losing sight of initial project guidance. You love a fast-paced environment, working for a growing company and the challenge of juggling multiple projects at the same time.
Reporting directly to the Vice President, this leader will create marketing that drives results and champions the brand. Your extensive experience in the digital space means you understand how to design for a wide variety of channels at scale, continuously nurturing Design Systems and efficiencies that empower your team and partners. Additionally, you and your team will support both the UX and Merch teams with visual brand guides that effectively reflect our target audience’s attitudes, tastes and preferences._
This role manages a team of 10-15 direct and indirect reports, charged with maintaining strong partnerships and ensuring these creatives maintain continuity of concept through execution. You have great management skills and the ability to lead, develop, and retain a growing team through measured and aspirational goal setting. You get things done, delegating responsibilities to your peers when your plate is full, and to your team in order to provide stretch opportunities. You love to coach and mentor, as much as you love to partner with internal clients on strategies and better ways bring briefs to life.
- Lead work to deliver creative marketing materials and content for our on-platform channels: site, app, email and off-platform drivers including our social channels, online advertising and printed direct mail.
- Champion and co-lead our Brand and Design Systems efforts to ensure the entire department has the tools and assets they need to succeed.
- Ensure that creative work is compelling, consistent, adheres to brand standards, and accomplishes revenue, customer retention and customer acquisition goals.
- Radically partner with internal marketing and ecommerce clients to deliver results for the business through collaboration and creative leadership.
- Provide excellent proactive creative leadership and coaching for your team to ensure their success and professional development
- Partner and proactively lead transformational efforts with your creative leadership peers in operations and photography to continuously improve how we support the work across our brands.
- Be prepared to take on delegated tasks from the VP, Creative & Design in representing the whole department internally and externally.
- Proactively recruit and retain top and diverse talent for our continuously growing team. Be a champion and sponsor of under-represented creatives internally and externally.
- 15+ years of industry experience in retail or ecommerce with a minimum of 5-6 years managing direct and indirect reports
- Experience developing channel marketing creative including email, social media, direct response and more
- Retail / e-commerce experience a must, with a high-volume project load (1,000+/year)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Advertising, Fine Arts, Graphic Art, Architecture, or Design highly preferred, but will accept additional experience in lieu of formal education
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with peers, direct reports and c-suite level management
- First-rate teamwork and collaboration across departments and teams
- Strong and credible problem solver with a solutions oriented, proactive approach
- Highly developed business acumen combined with creative excellence
- Experience with A/B testing, interpreting test results and implementing best practices as a result of testing is a plus
- Experience implementing a Design System or a templatized approach to content at scale is preferred
- Stays current with creative, marketing and technology trends
- History of leveraging tools and technology to work more effectively
- Great eye and aesthetic that matches Shutterfly brand
- Low ego, balanced with confidence and a healthy sense of personal drive and ambition
- Proven ability to make sound decisions for the creative work and teams
- A great attitude and flexibility towards business and its ever-changing, sometime ambiguous nature
- A sense of humor and the ability to have fun doing what you love
About Shutterfly’s Creative Department
Shutterfly’s Creative Department concepts campaigns, directs photo shoots, scripts videos and executes creative campaigns that execute across catalog, email, site, print, and social media. We work with our internal marketing partners, GM and other organizations ensure our creative work is effective and distinctive from the competition.