Sr. Principal Database Engineer
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Our database environments are complex and diverse, storing and processing tens of billions of customers images, projects and orders. We run on range of highly scalable data platforms including MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB, ScyllaDB, Vertica, Redshift and Oracle on AWS, as well as on premise.
We are looking for a highly skilled and versatile Database Engineer to join our dispersed team based across the US.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate with engineering teams to inform design and deploy new products and features at scale
- Identify and promote opportunities for refactoring data stores into more relevant and cost-effective solutions
- Design and execute the migration from on-prem to cloud-based databases
- Proactively plan and provide for capacity and resilience, with a strong focus on observability
- Develop automation process and tools to deploy code and structural releases
- Resolve critical infrastructure incidents as part of on call rotation
- Provide excellent documentation and help to curate existing documentation
- At least ten years of experience in DBA/DBE roles on highly available and scalable SQL and NoSQL systems such as MongoDB, Cassandra/ScyllaDB, MySQL, Oracle, Postgres and Vertica
- At least three years of experience working in a cloud environment (preferably AWS)
- MongoDB and MongoDB Atlas
- Strong understanding of Infrastructure as Code and special considerations for persistent infra such as database
- Experience automating infrastructure deployment using tools such as Terraform, Cloud Formation, Jenkins etc
- Ability to work on multiple cross functional projects, balancing and reprioritizing competing objectives
- Excellent communicator and documenter
- A technical degree in computer science, software engineering or related fields
** This position is eligible for remote work which may be performed anywhere in the United States except for within the state of Colorado.