Data Engineer II
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
As part of the Shutterfly Data Engineering team, you will tackle the scalability, performance and distributed computing challenges needed to collect, process and store data for the company with a primary focus on manufacturing data. The role will work in conjunction with analytics teammates to lay the data-foundations for analytic tool development, understand the business context of data assets, and actively maintain and improve the team's portfolio of value-add logic/code and data processes. Additionally, the role will work with various functional units to ensure solutions are successfully deployed, operationalized, and maintained.
You will also help to support the migration of our manufacturing operations data to AWS Cloud, supporting the breadth and depth of the company’s analytic needs. You will build, design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and enhance full-stack data engineering solutions. Experience with the AWS platform is a big plus!
- Experience designing Extract-Transform-Load (ETL) Workflows for data migration from various sources to data warehouse using batch or incremental loading strategies.
- Experience documenting database design including data modeling, metadata and business process flow for business integration requirements.
- Experience documenting technical ETL specifications for a data warehouse – including data quality and integrity checks.
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Strong debugging and problem-solving skills
- Experience with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Enthusiastic, highly motivated and ability to learn quickly
- Ability to work through ambiguity in a fast-paced, dynamically changing business environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time with minimum supervision
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in computer science or related field
- 3+ years of experience in the data warehouse space
- 3+ years of experience working with large scale ETL systems (implementation and maintenance, CDC/Event-driven architectures)
- Experience with ETL Tools like: Informatica, Oracle Data Integrator, Talend, Snaplogic, etc.
- Experience working with databases such as MemSQL, MySQL, Postgres, Redshift
- SQL proficiency
- Experience with AWS services such as S3, EC2, DMS, EMR, RDS, Glue, Athena, Kinesis
- Experience in any of the following are preferred but not required: Spark, Python, PySpark
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to collaborate with stakeholders at all levels of the company.
Shutterfly is committed to a “hybrid” work model with a balance between remote work and in-person collaboration. As such, you should be located proximate to one of our primary offices: Minneapolis MN, Tempe AZ, Plano TX, Fort Mill SC
Committed to making all of life’s experiences unforgettable, today Shutterfly is a leading digital retailer and manufacturing platform for photography and personalized products, with ambition to become the world’s leading marketplace of design-centric, personalized products that foster one’s self-expression.
At Shutterfly, we value people who:
- Own it, by delivering on their commitments and take responsibility to go above and beyond any defined role;
- Zoom out, to see the big picture and don’t let silo’s get in the way of the success of our customers, communities or company;
- Move fearlessly, and quickly without sacrificing quality in seizing opportunities and tackling challenges;
- Explore new angles, through hunger and curiosity, welcoming change, seeking improvement, learning equally from success and failure;
- Embrace differences, foster an environment where all voices are heard, ensuring others feel respected, supported and appreciated.
Shutterfly operates three divisions: Consumer, Lifetouch, and Shutterfly Business Solutions. The Consumer division helps customers create the most from life’s moments through its flagship personalized Shutterfly products; premium offerings in its Tiny Prints boutique; Snapfish custom photo gifts, as well as wedding invitations and stationery; and GrooveBook, a monthly subscription service. Lifetouch is the national leader in school photography, built on the enduring tradition of “Picture Day,” and also serves families through portrait studios and other partnerships. Shutterfly Business Solutions delivers enterprise digital printing services that enable efficient and effective customer engagement through personalized communications.