Sr. UX Designer II
At Lifetouch (part of the Shutterfly family of brands), we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy. Lifetouch has been the professional photography choice for schools and families for more than 85 years. Built on the tradition of “Picture Day” Lifetouch captures smiling faces, preschool through high school graduation. We also reach our customers through additional product lines including portrait studios, yearbooks, sports, and events. Supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce is important to Shutterfly not only because it directly reflects our value of Embracing our Differences, but also because it’s the right thing to do for our business and for our people. Learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Shutterfly DE&I.
As a Sr. UX designer working on our Lifetouch Next-Gen Ecommerce platform, you will deliver mobile-centric customer experiences that are elegant and highly useable. You will work on key mobile initiatives, driving design forward in the mobile photo and ecommerce space. You will build upon thinking in mobile design patterns and modern-design best practices. Your work will also directly contribute to the Shutterfly design systems. At Shutterfly, your skills will be integral to shaping the design direction for our mobile platforms with simple, elegant, and powerful design.
The Sr. UX Designer role is an Individual Contributor (IC) role. As a successful designer you will deliver well-researched, data-supported, pixel-perfect customer experiences. The expectation is that you should be able to evangelize your ideas and provide leadership for the overall design vision and execution of your products. Success in this role requires a strong sense of ownership and drive for high-quality experiences that delight our customers and drive business growth. You will be part of a small team of talented designers, product managers, and software engineers shaping the future of our Next-Gen Ecommerce platform of Shutterfly’s Lifetouch division.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with Product Management, Business, Research and Engineering to conceptualize new products and improve existing solutions.
- Works across product domains to align customer experiences and design, delivering a common Lifetouch experience.
- Partners with Shutterfly UX and Product teams to build seamless customer experiences.
- Represents Lifetouch UX on key experience integrations and long-term strategic planning.
- Creates innovative design solutions to solve customer problems on desktop, mobile web, and mobile native apps.
- Creates user experience wireframes, specifications, mockups, and interactive prototypes.
- Creates high fidelity visual documentation with annotations and assets.
- Transforms and applies data gathered through user experience testing and marketing.
- Proactively learn about Lifetouch’s business, culture and customer segments
- Works with the other members of the design team and the Product Management organization to define and evolve Lifetouch’s design language.
Great to Have (Your Skills)
- You have a knack for sensing improvement opportunities. You demonstrate an ability to identify gaps in experiences and how well they serve customer needs. You are a keen user of mobile applications and possess a strong point of view (good, bad, or ugly) in all products you use.
- You have gained your mobile experience through a combination of training, formal education, and hands-on experience in designing, building, and shipping mobile web and mobile apps.
- You are both proactive & persistent. Creating novel approaches to problems as well as the hard work associated with strong delivery requires your energy and outlook. Results only occur, ultimately, through execution. Being resilient in the face of challenges, uncertainty, and adversity separates you from others.
- Well-developed emotional intelligence plays a vital role here - great mobile products are almost always the product of teamwork.
- You understand the importance of customer, market and competitive research and can distill actionable insights from all sources of research.
- You engender trust not only among your colleagues but also stakeholders such as executives and partners. These people rave about you.
- You understand the importance of inclusion and diversity in team composition, thought process and orientations and in product design itself.
- You are skilled at creating agile requirements grounded in the ‘jobs-to-be-done’ framework, user stories, and epics.
- +4 years of experience in user experience design
- Thrive in ambiguity, eager to take initiative, and Passion for bringing innovative, new products to market
- Experience with ecommerce flows, use cases, and design issues
- Experience designing Mobile web and mobile native apps on iOS or Android (ideally both)
- Experience in a data and research-driven organization
- Knowledge of Swift, or C++ a bonus
- Experience working with Sketch, InVision and Jira
- Excellent knowledge of emerging technologies
- Ability to collaborate actively & effectively on international, cross-time zone, multidisciplinary teams
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in HCI, Visual Arts, Media Arts & Sciences, Industrial Design, Cognitive Science, Computer Science, or similar or equivalent experience