Senior Database Engineer (SQL Server and MySQL) - Contractor
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Seeking a senior level MSSQL Server and MySQL DBA/DBE to join a dynamic team supporting a range of mission-critical applications across many business units. The position will be responsible for the installation, maintenance and performance of critical MySQL and SQL Server systems, to ensure the availability, security, and consistent performance of our enterprise applications. This is a “hands-on” position requiring deep technical skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills, requiring the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with a variety of engineering teams.
While the core team in mainly based in Tempe, AZ, this position can be fully remote and might possibly be offshore; however, the standard working hours will be the US Mountain/Pacific time zone, with rotating 24/7 on call.
- Manage MySQL and SQL Server databases through multiple product lifecycle environments, from development to mission-critical production systems, on bare metal (Linux), VMware servers and Cloud environments (AWS preferred)
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security.
- Troubleshoot and maintain automated regular processes, track issues, and document changes and/or issues for incident escalations
- Plan, test, and execute DDL/DML and security changes to MS SQL and MySQL servers in both pre-production and production environments, following formal change control process
- Provide 24x7 support for critical production systems.
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours.
- Apply data modeling techniques to ensure development and implementation support efforts meet integration and performance expectations
- Provide SME in the architectural/design process with engineering teams
- Identify and implement opportunities for automation
- Produce performance reports reflecting key metrics and indicators
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
Skills and Qualifications
- 10+ years MS SQL Server and MySQL Administration experience required in a high capacity 24/7 production environment
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization, using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools in addition to 3rd Party solutions such as SQL Sentry One, Redgate, and Percona Toolkit for MySQL
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery techniques
- Experience working in AWS environments
- Familiarity with fundamental security concepts and controls
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server such as Always On
- MySQL Replication techniques including GTID, master failovers, automated failover, ProxySQL etc.
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory
- Experience working with SOX/SOC2 PCI or medical/health care a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication, providing high quality structured documentation and diagramming.
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality
- Ability to organize and plan work independently
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams, dealing with ambiguity as needed
- MCTS, MCITP, and/or MVP certifications are a plus, but some demonstrated knowledge is acceptable for this level.