Manager, Database Engineering
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
About the position:
Our database environments are complex and diverse, storing and processing tens of billions of customers images, projects and orders. We run on range of highly scalable data platforms including MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB, ScyllaDB, Vertica, Redshift and Oracle almost fully on AWS, as well as on premise.
We are seeking a uniquely qualified individual to lead a dispersed team of database engineers, responsible for the architecture, development and reliability of our many database systems. You will collaborate with many distributed engineering teams to identify and execute complex, cross functional projects concerned with continuously optimizing, improving and transforming how we support our many innovative products and features.
Shutterfly is in process of multi-year Cloud Migration. Candidate should have experience running Cloud Native and Lift-Shift Databases. Candidate is going to be key player for future of Database Platform Strategy going forward.
The ideal candidate will have a rich, multifaceted background encompassing multiplatform database architecture and administration skills, managing and mentoring individual contributors, and leading complex database engineering projects with a relentlessly proactive and collaborative style. Excellent prioritization, planning, communication, documentation skills are all essential qualities. You are expected to interact with Executive Audiences.
- 10+ years of experience in IT management with a focus on Database Administration on various RDMS Systems and NoSQL Platforms
- Lead and empower a team of Database Engineers to provide solutions for our Cloud migrations as well as defining future Data Platform in the Cloud
- Mentor, enable growth and development of individual members, and of team identity and performance
- Run the production operations DB infrastructure to maintain reliability, performance, scalability, and security
- Drive decision making processes to determine strategies for migrating off a traditional database system to Cloud Native Data Services
- Partner with engineering teams in web, manufacturing, finance, marketing and data sciences to support their database requirements
- Define and refine standards and controls around database and data design, data lifecycle, security, governance and compliance
- Introduce and improve automation for managing and monitoring Databases in Cloud
- Thorough knowledge of core components of the public cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred)
- Deep understanding of native cloud database services and complementary services (database migration service and SCT, streams/pipelines, s3, Athena, Lambda, etc)
- Expertise in relational and NoSQL database design and architecture, capacity and scalability planning
- Experience migrating databases from data centers to cloud platforms
- Hands on experience administering relational and NoSQL DBMSs such including MySQL, MongoDB, Postgres, Cassandra/ScyllaDB and Oracle
- Strong understanding of privacy, security, governance and compliance
- Oversee 24x7 Coverage of Database Systems operating in Cloud and On-Premise
- Experience in implementing and streamlining observability: monitoring, metrics, KPIs and alerting
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field