Sr. Director, UX Design
Shape the future of user experience at the largest online marketplace of custom and personalized products.
The Shutterfly’s User Experience team’s mission is to create innovative, elegant user experiences that delight our customers and drive business growth. We are seeking a skilled, experienced and dynamic Sr. Director to lead that team.
Shutterfly is looking for someone who is passionate about ecommerce, personalized product creation, team development, and detailed-oriented design. As the Head of UX Design, you will collaborate with Product Management, Marketing, Business Owners, and Engineering to transform the Shutterfly & Snapfish customer experiences.
Overview & Outcomes
Shutterfly is expanding from photo-based products to a destination marketplace for customized products that fit every taste, space, or lifestyle. You will help lead this transformation.
As the leader of UX Design, you will help drive strategy and delivery on all platforms and across Shutterfly’s consumer brands (Shutterfly & Snapfish). You will work on key initiatives, creating innovation on the mobile app, and transforming our existing web ecommerce platform. You will lead design thinking on information architecture, customer needs discovery, design operations, and team growth & development. At Shutterfly, your leadership will be integral to evolving our company, strengthening our design practice, and releasing simple, yet powerful, design solutions for our customers.
As a successful design leader in our organization, you will shape design strategy, mentor other designers, develop design best practices, elevate the team and build upon the design culture at Shutterfly.
This is a critical role. You will lay the foundation for transforming Shutterfly’s Consumer business and future growth through creating an online experience that customers love to visit again and again.
The Head of Design role reports directly to the Chief Product Officer, an active product coach and experienced career mentor.
Great to Have Skills
- You have a knack for sensing opportunities. You demonstrate an ability to identify gaps in experiences and how well they serve customer needs. You are a keen observer of customer experiences and possess a strong point of view (good, bad, or ugly) in all products you use.
- You have gained your expertise through a combination of years of training, formal education, and hands-on experience in designing and leading, building, and shipping digital products.
- You are both proactive & persistent. Creating novel approaches to problems as well as the hard work associated with strong delivery requires your energy and outlook. Results only occur, ultimately, through execution. Being resilient in the face of challenges, uncertainty, and adversity separates you from others.
- Well-developed emotional intelligence plays a vital role here - you are not an individualistic genius. You are a leader that understands that great user experiences are always the product of teamwork.
- Drive product design and innovation across all platforms (web and apps).
- Actively collaborate with Product Leadership, Business, and Engineering.
- Accountable for an end-to-end design process, including strategy, advocating for design, design best practices, and presenting to all levels of leadership.
- Develop and coach a diverse team of over 20 talented designers and design leaders.
- Drive research and apply data gathered through testing and usage trends to inform product strategy.
- Proactively learn about and contribute to Shutterfly’s customers, culture and business.
- 10+ years of experience in user experience design.
- 5+ years of leading user medium-to-large experience teams.
- Thrive in ambiguity, eager to take initiative and drive clarity and purpose.
- Experience with ecommerce flows, use cases, and design issues.
- Experience in a data and research-driven organization.
- Ability to collaborate actively & effectively on international, cross-time zone, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment.
- Only candidates with a portfolio will be reviewed.
Shutterfly is committed to a hybrid work model with a balance between remote work and in-person collaboration. Ideally, you are located proximate to one of our primary design & development centers: Haifa, Israel or San Francisco, Bay Area. Secondary consideration given to Minneapolis MN, Seattle WA and Tempe AZ.