At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Reporting to the Sr. Vice President of Human Resources, the Director, Compensation role will play a key leadership role on the Shutterfly HR team. This position directs, develops, evaluates and leads compensation programs and the implementation of compensation policy, procedures and systems. As the company faces significant growth and innovative changes, this position serves as a strategic partner to company leadership and plays a key role in maintaining and enhancing the company’s culture through progressive total compensation programs. This position serves as a proactive cross functional partner to the organization and acts as a resource across all business groups. The position directs resources, including internal employees and external vendors in the design and administration of compensation programs.
Corporate compensation scope includes: job architecture, base pay, long-term incentive plan, equity, and sales commission plans including various monetary and non-monetary rewards and recognition programs. This position will partner closely with internal customers and external sources to understand business requirements and solutions. This position will also require tight collaboration with all areas of HR to enable identification of business or geographic opportunities and challenges and to collect feedback on key performance indicators for implemented strategies.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Designs, implements, administers and maintains corporate-wide compensation programs, policies and procedures, including job evaluation and market benchmarking.
- Ensures compensation programs are designed to support the organization’s strategic objectives, complies with legal requirements, is cost effective and market competitive.
- Maintains market competitive salary guidelines.
- Evaluates and designs creative solutions to specific compensation programs, annual cash incentives, sales commission plan, area and shift differentials, and other supplemental/variable pay programs.
- Works with sales leaders to determine best mix of base and variable commission pay per different sales roles and provides direction and guidance on incentive pay increases consistent with market conditions and best practices.
- Oversees the administration of a market-based salary review process/system, which includes the process of collecting, analyzing, interpreting and distributing data for compensation decision-making.
- Leads and oversees the annual salary administration, focal base pay and bonus review processes.
- Partners with organization’s HR leaders who consult with senior management regarding compensation policies, procedures and decisions.
- Consults with executive management in the planning and designing of organizational rewards, staffing considerations and/or organizational design.
- Models financial impact of equity compensation plans and provides updates on developments and trends.
- Works with the Legal team on the drafting of compensation plan documents.
- Partners with Finance to model and evaluate the financial impacts of various programs.
- Provides direction, coaching, and development opportunities for direct report(s).
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages multiple concurrent projects and provides counsel and advice to influence progressive changes.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or Human Resources or equivalent experience
- Master’s degree preferred
- CCP, CSCP preferred
- 12 or more years in human resources with experience leading compensation
- 5 or more years of management experience
- SAP experience preferred
Other (knowledge, skills, and abilities):
- Broad, in-depth knowledge of compensation, evolving technologies, and best practices in public and private company settings
- Strong knowledge of the market, trends, regulations and economic environment
- Proficient in the use of compensation data management tools
- Advanced problem solving and analytical skills
- Good interpersonal skills; seasoned executive communication skills
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Strategic thinking, with application to compensation and rewards processes/systems
- Experience selecting and leading employees with consultative skills
- Demonstrated experience managing vendors
- Advanced analytic skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Power Point and Word
- Ability to work with and decipher large amounts of data/information
- Ability to work with confidential and sensitive situations and information effectively
- High-energy demeanor with a strong work ethic, sense of urgency and high expectations for performance
- Exceptional ability to build consensus across a wide range of constituents
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a team, with initiative and accuracy