Director, Product Management - Consumer Experience
For more than 80 years, Lifetouch has been the professional photography company of choice for schools and families. While photography sessions may look different this year, our goal is still the same – to ensure families receive this essential photography service to continue to capture life’s memories. Lifetouch was acquired by Shutterfly in 2018 – this acquisition brings together Shutterfly’s strengths as the leader in personalized photo-based products and photo storage with Lifetouch’s position as the leader in school and family photography.
There is an exciting opportunity over the next few years to digitally bring these brands closer together to make it even easier for Consumers to order and store photos for years to come. This would require an experienced Product Director to be able to lead the vision and strategy for how we create a seamless experience across Shutterfly and the Lifetouch lines of business – including school and studio photography – through a customer’s exploration, ordering, checkout, and profile & preferences digital journeys. This will not be an easy problem to solve so the ideal candidate will be inspired by challenges and have experience leading complex projects across many platforms and teams to launch new features. You will be excited about the possibilities of rethinking the school picture day experience. You will get to work on a cross functional team dedicated to maintaining the traditions of picture days while also making the service even more valuable to parents by leveraging modern technology to meet customer expectations. You are someone who loves sketching out mock-ups on a napkin and partnering with design, engineering, and analytics to bring those ideas to life. You will do this not by being told what exactly needs to be done, but by being deeply connected to the business strategy and our customer’s needs to be able to propose ideas on how we will drive our key outcomes. You will be skilled at analyzing data, recognizing that experimentation and validating a hypothesis will be key to defining your product roadmap. You will also manage and develop a team of employees, creating a culture that excites and inspires others to come up with the next great ideas and partner across the organization to deliver on them.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Create a compelling product vision and strategy that enables us to build seamless experiences for our customers and deliver value for the business. Anticipate how that vision may need to adapt as the business evolves.
- Socialize the vision across Shutterfly Inc. to collectively work together towards product execution.
- Feel a deep connection to our customers – understand their feedback, their experiences, and identify the biggest problems that we need to solve for them. Create ways for your team members to get closer to that data.
- Partner closely with UX design & research and engineering to define a multi-year product roadmap.
- Clearly communicate technical solutions to non-technical audiences.
- Understand what’s feasible from an engineering perspective to influence the business strategy and scope of a release.
- Build strong partnerships across the company with marketing, customer service, analytics, Shutterfly product, engineering, and program management teams.
- Develop key reporting dashboards and scorecards to monitor success and drive future iteration.
- Maintain a strong culture of data informed product development.
- Effectively identify and resolve risks, tradeoffs and obstacles, understanding when to engage leadership teams for support.
- Lead and develop a team of Product Managers to effectively deliver, communicate, and collaborate on Product releases. Create followership through an inspiring and fun leadership style. Give real time coaching and feedback to develop the team to be future product leaders.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs other projects or miscellaneous duties as requested or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of product management experience
- 5+ years of experience managing product managers
- Experience taking a mobile/web idea from concept to launch is preferred
Other (knowledge, skills, and abilities)
- Strong understanding of user centered design and the design thinking process
- Experience partnering with product design teams to develop new features
- Experience working with agile scrum teams to bring new features to market
- Drive results across highly complex, matrixed teams and systems
- Ability to manage a team through change
- Excellent communication skills (visual, verbal, written) that are clear and to the point
- Strong partnership and collaboration skills – you appreciate the importance of bringing others along on the journey
- Stellar organizational skills to keep all teams on track
- Experience managing teams through change
- Have an enthusiastic, curious, and optimistic attitude towards projects – with a sense of humor when things don’t go as planned