Sr. Principal Designer - UX Design
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy. Shutterfly is the leader in personalized photo products and services, connecting you with family and friends by sharing your photos in creative and innovative ways. With this brand, our customers can create lasting keepsakes such as award-winning photo books, customized stationary for life’s biggest occasions, and unique home décor.
Do you obsess over mobile UX design? Are WWDC and Google I/O your favorite shows? Do you dream in 8px grids?
Shutterfly’s User Experience team is seeking a passionate Sr. Principal of Mobile UX Design to create innovative, elegant mobile user experiences that delight our customers and drive business growth. We are looking for someone who is passionate about mobile ecommerce, mobile photo experiences, and detailed-oriented design. As a Sr. Principal of Mobile UX Design, you will collaborate with Product Management, Marketing, and Engineering to transform the mobile experiences.
Overview & Outcomes
Shutterfly mobile applications are a key driver of growth for the company.
As a leader in the mobile design space, you will help drive strategy and delivery across two mobile platforms and across Shutterfly’s consumer brands (Shutterfly & Snapfish). You will work on key mobile initiatives, driving innovation in the mobile photo and ecommerce space. You will lead design thinking on information architecture, mobile design patterns, and modern-design best practices. Your work will also directly contribute to the Shutterfly design system. At Shutterfly, your skills will be integral to leading the design direction for our mobile platforms with simple, elegant and powerful design.
The Sr. Principal of Mobile UX Design role is an role that reports to the Head of Design. As a successful design leader in our organization, you will shape design strategy, mentor other designers, and shepherd designs through all stages of the process and communicate - visually, through storytelling, through data, and through words - the value of high-quality design. You can take risks and to understand how to use data to support those risks.
In this critical role, you will lay the foundation for transforming Shutterfly’s Consumer business and future growth through mobile apps that customers love to use again and again.
Great to Have Skills
- You have a knack for sensing opportunities. You demonstrate an ability to identify gaps in experiences and how well they serve customer needs. You are a keen user of mobile applications and possess a strong point of view (good, bad, or ugly) in all products you use.
- You have gained your expertise through a combination of years of training, formal education, and hands-on experience in designing, building and shipping mobile apps.
- You are both proactive & persistent. Creating novel approaches to problems as well as the hard work associated with strong delivery requires your energy and outlook. Results only occur, ultimately, through execution. Being resilient in the face of challenges, uncertainty, and adversity separates you from others.
- Well-developed emotional intelligence plays a vital role here - you are not an individualistic genius. You are a leader that understands that great mobile products are almost always the product of teamwork.
- Drive product design and innovation across native mobile platforms
- Collaborate with Product Leadership, Business, and Engineering
- Accountable for an end-to-end design process, including strategy, advocating for design, and presenting to all levels of leadership
- Create user experience strategy, delivery and validation plans, inspirational mockups, and prototypes
- Contribute to and expand the Shutterfly design system
- Initiate research and apply data gathered through testing and usage trends
- Proactively learn about Shutterfly’s business, culture, and customers
- 15+ years of experience in user experience design
- Thrive in ambiguity, eager to take initiative
- Experience with ecommerce flows, use cases, and design issues
- Experience designing and shipping apps on iOS or Android (ideally both)
- Experience in a data and research-driven organization
- Knowledge of Swift, or C++ a bonus
- Ability to collaborate actively & effectively on international, cross-time zone, multidisciplinary teams
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment
- Only candidates with a portfolio will be reviewed
Shutterfly is committed to a hybrid work model with a balance between remote work and in-person collaboration. As such, you should be located in our primary design & development centers: Haifa, Israel, or the San Francisco Bay Area. Secondary consideration given to Chicago IL, Minneapolis MN, Seattle WA and Tempe AZ.