Information Systems Architect
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy. Lifetouch has been the professional photography choice for schools and families for more than 80 years. Built on the tradition of “Picture Day” Lifetouch captures smiling faces, preschool through high school graduation. We also reach our customers through additional product lines including portrait studios, yearbooks, sports, and events.
The Lead Systems Architect at Shutterfly’s Lifetouch division is a technology leader who drives the technical direction to align technology with our strategic priorities. It is a role that requires a breadth of knowledge across design, development, infrastructure, and operations of an IT organization. They will define the future state of the technology platform and create a roadmap to implement the vision. The roadmap will encompass the software design in addition to the infrastructure and operational needs of the company. This is a challenging role that will need to constantly learn emerging technologies and develop a keen sense for how and when to apply the technologies to Lifetouch’s unique business.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of business, customer and product requirements into flexible technical solutions which support current and future needs.
- Develop, document, make recommendations and communicate plans for investing in technology infrastructure, including analysis for cost reduction opportunities.
- Develop and document in-depth knowledge of assigned domain architecture, infrastructure, and technology portfolio.
- Understand and leverage knowledge of the company’s strategic business plans.
- Participate in formulation and execution of cloud migration strategy for moving on-prem systems to the AWS cloud.
- Participates in product roadmap planning. Provides technical input and t-shirt sizing to assist the Product owners in prioritizing roadmap features.
- Helps identify and define application and service architectures.
- Interacts and communicates effectively with internal and external customers and development teams to clarify business, operational and/or technical requirements.
- Defines in written documents non-functional requirements (availability, interoperability, portability, manageability, scalability, maintainability, security, monitoring, SLAs, KPIs, regulatory and legal compliance) based on business vision, best practices and architectural direction.
- Balances a variety of competing goals in a design, including project time, scope and budget constraints, system performance and loose coupling.
Research and Best Practices
- Keeps up on industry trends and current technology standards and best practices.
- Assists in evangelizing adoption of new standards, techniques, products and methodologies.
- Assists with socializing architecture principles.
- Drives adoption of identified design patterns, standards, principles and best practices throughout the development organization.
- Serves as a technical advisor on technology projects.
- Maintain ongoing communications with project teams, verifying that what was designed was built and adjusting the solution architecture as appropriate throughout the project.
- Works closely with application architects and leads to guide the technical implementation of shared artifacts, business logic, data, security and infrastructure.
- Balances long-term strategy and short-term goals.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to junior members of the technical team.
- Provide guidance in trouble shooting sessions
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate a strong initiative and follow through in executing project responsibilities, overcoming obstacles, and balancing multiple priorities effectively.
- Strong ownership, communication and leadership skills. Ability to present and explain technical designs and business requirements to other team members.
- Performs other projects or miscellaneous duties as requested or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent experience
- Eight to ten years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Candidate must have extensive hands-on development experience using Java based technologies and Single Page Applications technologies such as Angular or React. Experience with Spring projects such as Spring Boot, Spring Integration, Spring Batch, etc.
- Candidate must have experience in building highly scalable applications in Amazon AWS .
- Candidate must have experience with building scalable, decoupled event driven systems.
- Candidate must be able to accommodate occasional travel for project initiatives.
Other (knowledge, skills, and abilities):
- Experience with Linux based systems and to a lesser extent Windows systems.
- Experience with web services, OAuth patterns, XML and JSON.
- Experience building and deploying applications.
- Working knowledge of messaging platforms used for synchronous and asynchronous integrations.
- Working knowledge of event streaming platforms such as Kafka and AWS Kinesis.
- Working knowledge of relational databases such as Oracle and MySQL.
- Working knowledge of non-relational (NoSQL) databases such as Redis and DynamoDB.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Experience with domain driven design.
- Ability to design, prototype and assess architecture solutions
- Ability to mentor and lead other technical team members without having direct supervision responsibility
- Knowledge of data privacy issues and laws.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including ability to present to groups and conduct educational sessions.
- Must be familiar with application development and deployment best practices supporting agile methodologies.
- Experience using the Atlassian tools set (Jira, BitBucket, Confluence, Bamboo) or equivalent in a continuous integration/continuous deployment environment is a plus.