Photo Sourcing Specialist
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Photo Sourcing Specialist, Creative & Design
You have a keen visual eye for pairing photos with designs. You can see the bigger picture, connect the detailed work
to the greater visual strategy and effectively communicate and source photographers and photographs that
accurately bring a brand vision to life. Creatively collaborating with designers is your happy place. You also enjoy
managing expectations of your cross-functional partners in merchandising and marketing. You have a track record
for driving diversity and bringing forth fresh creative voices to create compelling visual narratives and product
We’re a Creative Department standing up a center of excellence for design within Shutterfly. We’re looking for a
Photo Sourcing Specialist to join our mid-evolution in-house team of ego-free misfits. Our creatives are enthusiastic
and thrive in a highly collaborative, sometimes quick-turn environment. Positive vibes only. Well, at least 93% of the
time (we’re only human).
About the Role:
The Photo Sourcing Specialist works collaborative to develop brand strategies through thoughtful photography
selections via custom and stock sourcing for all Shutterfly brands. The main focus of the role is to ensure compelling
visual photography that reinforces each brand’s positioning and merchandising strategy. You’ll help set the overall
photo strategy and manage sourcing photographers and photographs, the photo production calendar, as well
as deliver work within budget and on time. This role will partner closely with the brand, campaign and merchandising
teams, coordinating work and output by partnering with teammates on the greater design and photo teams.
General Position Responsibilities:
- Assist in setting photo sourcing strategy and differentiation, including new, innovative ways to source photos.
- Develop weekly sourcing goals by vertical/occasion and define appropriate project timelines to ensure goals are met.
- Secure new photography per brand strategy to overarching campaigns and merchandising design team’s requests/briefs.
- Proactively recruit new photographers and ensure photo release forms are secured.
- Review photographer portfolios, past customer orders and miscellaneous submissions to identify desirable photos to Photo Sourcing Supervisor.
- Act as point of contact to request desirable photos from variety of sources.
- Load all approved photos into content deployment system.
- For all launches, review photography placement into new product, considering assortment requirements, trend initiatives and technique (i.e., cropping, filter, overlays, etc.)
- Responsible for reviewing live product pages to ensure assortment looks cohesive on the whole and is achieving photo strategy goals and swapping out photography when necessary.
- Work with brand and marketing and merch to communicate and align on photography sourcing strategy across touchpoints.
- Assist in sourcing and placement of photography for high profile marketing vehicles such as ads, catalogs and emails.
- Present updated photo strategies to affected cross-functional teams.
- Bachelor’s or Associate Degree highly preferred in Photography, Media, Design, Visual Arts, Fine Arts or other
- 3+ years’ experience in Merchandising / Photography / Art Direction.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
- Expert with Microsoft Office – particularly Excel, Word, Outlook
- Keen visual eye for pairing photos with designs.
- Great eye and aesthetic that compliments and elevates Shutterfly brand.
- Proven ability to thrive within tight deadlines.
- Experience with photo enhancement and photo organizational tools a huge plus.
- Organized and detail-oriented with exceptional communication skills.
- Editorial design and experience working in a photo studio preferred.
- Studio or agency experience preferred.
- Retail / eCommerce experience preferred.
- Ability to prioritize workloads and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Be self-motivated and a thoughtful, yet quick problem solver.
- Patience and infectious, positive attitude with a collaborative approach.
- Low ego, balanced with confidence and a healthy sense of personal drive, ambition and ownership.
- A great attitude and flexibility towards business and its ever-changing, sometimes ambiguous nature.
- Strong problem solver/solutions oriented.
- Sense of humor and the ability to have fun doing what you love.