Bindery Tech - Machine Operator
Job Title: Bindery Casing in Operator (Diamant / Horauf)
The Bindery Case operator runs high speed equipment and is able to maintain top quality and setup the machine in accordance to SOP’s. Learn and understand all aspects of the line (book block feeder, boxing, paperwork and required computer skills). Load covers while operating machine. Be able to do quality checks while running equipment. Using basic mechanical skills, performs set up, maintenance and production operations on the Diamant Casing In machine or the Horauf case making machine. Achieves productivity and quality goals. Ensures that the correct work is being produced according to pre-set production requirements in order to meet shipping deadlines. Inspects finished products for adherence to standards. Performs administrative tasks such as reading, understanding and complying with job tickets, production tracking, and ordering materials. Informs Supervisor of quality defects in production. Performs basic mechanical preventive and emergent maintenance and coordinates complex maintenance with Maintenance and Shift Supervisor. This job requires the ability to multi-task and coordinate work with helpers and boxers/stackers on the line. Keeps area clean and hazard free and complies with all aspects of plant’s Safety program.
The incumbent must be willing to move around the Bindery and perform any tasks/jobs needed to achieve production goals, as assigned by their supervisor.
- High School degree or GED required.
- Must have at least 3 years of relevant machine operator experience in finishing (Yearbook and/or Commercial books).
- 3-5 years of experience as a Diamant and/or Horauf machine operator highly preferred.
- Ability to train others to achieve quality and productivity standards.
- Good communication skills - written and verbal.
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Willing to work flexible hours, including shift work, and overtime with short notice.
- Works well under the pressure of deadlines.
- Must have flexibility to learn and use new technology.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Ability to stand through 12 hour shifts.
- Must be flexible to work off shifts when required.
- Must have basic computer and mechanical skills.
- Must have excellent attendance record.
- Must be able to lift up to 60 lbs.
Complies with all safety and operations procedures.