Principal Art Director
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
You have extensive eCommerce experience and are known for your creative innovation, ideally for brands people love. You’re driven to create groundbreaking work that’s engaging and cuts through the clutter to exceed business goals. Your expertise and interest in UX rivals your passion for fine design. You can delve into channel-specific work with an omni-campaign mindset. You welcome creative collaboration and don’t take yourself too seriously. Feedback is welcomed, taken and given with grace.
We’re a Creative Department looking for the right Principal Art Director to join our in-house team of ego-free misfits. Our creatives are enthusiastic and thrive in a highly collaborative, sometimes quick-turn environment. Positive vibes only. Well, at least 93% of the time (we’re only human).
About the Role:
The Principal Art Director is a high-level individual contributor that drives concepts and work within our on-platform department – site, app, UX, SEO channels as well as brand systems and brand architecture. You’ll oversee and delve into creative work produced efficiently and with brand consistency. Excellence in partnership and collaboration is a must. This role requires an organized multitasker, hands-on design skills, ability to hit the ground running and an eye to always improve. This role is part of a larger creative team of Managing Art Directors, Designers and Copywriters. Reports to the Creative Director.
- Ensure that creative work is compelling, consistent, adheres to brand standards, and brings campaign goals to life.
- Partner effectively with cross-functional partners in site, UX, performance marketing, and merchandising to identify requirements, gain foundation for project vision, and conduct project in ways that instill confidence and trust.
- Active participation in project Kickoffs, asking insightful questions to gain detail, clarification and alignment with Marketing Partners, oversee project work, and propose ideas to address the business need.
- Display innovative thinking, championing better ways to deliver on internal client requests.
- Work collaboratively with the Creative Director, Managing Art Directors, Copywriters and UX Team to define creative vision, bringing groundbreaking creative ideas and solutions to the table.
- Confidently present ideas and concepts to Creative Director and internal clients with a spirit of collaboration.
- Ensure creative work is compelling and consistent.
- Support A/B testing and multivariate testing.
- Provide effective direction to bring creative vision to life.
- Inspire collaborative brainstorming and out-of-the-box (big idea) thinking
- Juggle a mix of long-term and quick-turnaround projects, often with overlapping priorities and urgency.
- Show professionalism in all aspects of your daily tasks, including taking feedback and edits with grace and positivity.
- Be self-motivated.
- Continually adopt new tools and practices as the work evolves.
- Support innovation, leveraging process improvements and technology to work smarter.
- Manage work tasks, functions and time sheet using department’s project management tool.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Advertising, Fine Arts, Graphic Art, Architecture, or Design highly preferred, but will accept additional experience in lieu of formal education.
- 12+ years’ experience.
- Portfolio to showcase your skills.
- Hands-on experience designing across marketing channels with a focus on digital (site, app, UX).
- Must have expertise in Adobe CC, Sketch and InVision skills.
- Nice-to-have’s include ability to create animations and have experience with a design versioning tools like Abstract
- Experience using Adobe Experience Manager or another DAM
- Agency experience preferred.
- Retail / eCommerce experience a must.
- Track record of supporting Creative Directors in close partnership.
- Great eye and aesthetic that compliments and elevates Shutterfly brand.
- A solid understanding of advertising technology and innovative marketing solutions.
- Ability to prioritize workloads and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Be self-motivated and a thoughtful, yet a quick and independent problem solver.
- Patience and infectious, positive attitude with a collaborative approach.
- Low ego, balanced with confidence and a healthy sense of personal drive, ambition and ownership.
- A great attitude and flexibility towards business and its ever-changing, sometimes ambiguous nature.
- Strong problem solver/solutions oriented.
- Sense of humor and the ability to have fun doing what you love.