Principal/Staff Data Engineer
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
As part of the Manufacturing Operations Data Engineering team you will tackle the scalability, performance and distributed computing challenges needed to collect, process and store data for the company with a primary focus on manufacturing data. You will help to drive the migration of our manufacturing operations data to AWS Cloud, supporting the breadth and depth of the company’s analytic needs. You will build, design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and enhance full-stack data engineering solutions. Working closely with business partners, you will help to improve the operations and performance of the data platform.
To apply for this role, we are looking for candidates with sound analytic, design and problem-solving skills, who have expertise with distributed and high-performance systems, service design and large-scale data ingress, egress and storage. Expertise with the AWS platform is a big plus!
About Your Background
• You have owned build, design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and enhance of full-stack data engineering solutions
• You have experience driving large data platform migration activities leveraging AWS Cloud technologies
• You have provided technical leadership to both data engineering teams as well as to publishers & subscribers of Data Lake solutions
• You have helped to drive data strategy by identifying, evaluating and evangelizing through data-based evidence, improvements to a Data Lake
• You effectively own, and manage project priorities, deadlines and deliverables by leveraging your technical expertise
• You have a strong customer focus and leverage your partnerships with customers to help evangelize the benefits of existing solutions and new technologies to drive use and push the technology of the Data Warehouse forward
• You focus on driving continuous improvements to operations, monitoring, CI/CD pipelines and performance of the Data Warehouse
• You embrace high visibility roles that work to partner across multiple teams to drive end-to-end solutions
The Skills You'll Bring
• You have expert knowledge in Python, Spark and SQL scripting, along with working knowledge of R or similar statistical computing packages.
• You have 10+ years of hands on experience in building data & feature engineering applications, including design, implementation, debugging, and support
• You have a deep understanding of data integration to support analytics & feature engineering for Machine learning algorithms
• You are strong at applying data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design, to solve challenging data integration problems
• You are experienced working in the AWS Services Ecosystem or relevant Cloud Infrastructures such as Google Cloud or Azure
• You have experience or exposure to working with Databricks, AWS Glue as a compute environment
• Educational background includes a Bachelor’s / Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field
Colorado only*- This position has a minimum salary of $135,400.00. You may also be offered a bonus and benefits. Details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: Benefits at Shutterfly
*Note: Disclosure of the minimum salary is required for this role when being hired in Colorado (SB19-085)
Supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce is important to Shutterfly not only because it directly reflects our value of Embracing our Differences, but also because it’s the right thing to do for our business and for our people. Learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Shutterfly DE&I.