Director, Field Finance
At Lifetouch (part of the Shutterfly family of brands), we believe there is extraordinary power in the self-expression. Built on the tradition of “Picture Day”, Lifetouch has captured the unique personalities of children and families for more than 85 years.
The Director, Field Finance builds an effective high-performance team who drives financial planning, analysis and reporting along with providing administrative support for various field compensation plans while supporting overall field labor management and capacity planning.
This position is responsible for:
- Creation of annual field budgets and quarterly forecasts at an Area/Studio level.
- Financial modeling and analysis in support of key field initiatives.
- Managing and leading the field operations reporting strategy, design, and ongoing execution in providing field leadership metrics and tools to drive key performance indicators.
- Various bonus, commission, and incentive plan administration along with wage rate analysis.
- Capacity analysis and planning in support of peak Host and Studio seasons.
- Developing and implementing labor models for Host and Studios providing ongoing reporting against these models.
- Constructing photographer staffing plans to understand hiring needs, and leading the design, testing and implementation of photographer scheduling tools in collaboration with Field Operations, Finance, and Human Resources.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
Build Effective Teams
- Manages and leads a team including providing day-to-day work direction, sharing performance feedback, providing recognition, and communicating effectively.
- Monitors and evaluates individual and team performance.
- Develops talent in support of increased performance and effectiveness of the team.
- Employs techniques to build teamwork in support of business needs to drive results.
- Collaborates with Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) team on annual budgeting and ongoing forecasting of all field revenues, labor and non-labor expenses.
- Develops annual operating budgets (revenue, labor and non-labor expenses) for both Host and Studios business lines at an Area/Studio level.
- Consolidates annual revenue and expense operating budgets into Host Controllable Profit and Studio Labor Margin plans.
- Creates periodic quarterly forecasts for Host and Studios expenses (labor and non-labor expenses).
- Provides narrative and summary schedules in support of budgets and forecasts.
Field Capacity Planning and Analysis
- Develops seasonal capacity plans for Host and Retail businesses, factoring equipment, staff and event volume to support strategic planning, asset management and hiring.
- Assesses field real estate leases, providing guidance to P&L owners on capacity needs, renewal recommendations and consolidation opportunities.
- Defines geographic field boundaries across North America in support of capacity planning and field management processes.
- Develops and provides primary leadership of annual staffing plan process across Lifetouch field organizations, including assisting Field Operations in developing seasonal hiring plans to determine the number of staff needed, and collaborating with Field Operations and Human Resources in developing and executing ongoing reporting against hiring objectives.
Financial Analysis & Reporting
- Constructs complex financial models and analysis in support of key field initiatives.
- Provides recommendations in support of various field simplification, standardization, enhanced profitability, and improved execution projects.
- Performs follow-up analysis to ensure objectives are met post implementation.
- Provides analytical and key metrics trends leadership to field operations and provides support in identifying field-based performance opportunities.
- Directs the field reporting function and developing appropriate key performance indicators, collaborating with Field Operations and Data Management on new reporting needs, managing the process to prioritize new development work, and leading the process to execute ongoing existing core field facing reports.
- Provides project management support for all Host and Studio field incentive programs including bonus, commission, and incentive plans.
- Supports administration for all field photography, operations and sales incentive programs including creation of detailed project plans in support of timely payment calculations, field management reviews, generation of final payment statements, submissions to payroll and timely responses to field questions.
- Evaluates starting wage rate for non-exempt field employees making recommendations for wage rate changes and financial impact including existing employees.
- Develops and implements labor models for Host and Studios business that ensure appropriate levels of customer service while providing field operations labor practices/standards to execute against and supports reporting to drive accountability for executing to the prescribed model.
Supports the implementation of photographer scheduling tools and practices that provide standardization and simplification and drive efficiency in photographer scheduling processes.
- Supports the implementation of customer appointment scheduling models for retail studio and senior/graduation photography businesses to maximize labor productivity while supporting a strong customer session experience.
- Identifies and provides support for initiatives to drive labor cost efficiencies.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports Field Operations in developing best practices for driving accountability in performance to labor models.
- Safe-guards all customer, employee and company proprietary and personal information ensuring customer and employee data is always kept confidential.
- Performs other projects or miscellaneous duties as requested or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, or related field or equivalent related experience in financial or analytical field.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) preferred.
- 10+ years in financial modeling and analysis, preferably with experience in labor modeling, staff planning and employee scheduling platforms/tools.
- 5+ years managing and leading direct reports.
- 2-4 years of experience in managing complex projects.
- 2 - 4 years of reporting experience, including experience with leadership of field reporting development and process.
- Working in a cross-functional environment.
- Experience in staff planning and supporting employee scheduling platforms/tools preferred.
Other (knowledge, skills, and abilities):
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated ability to, work with a field organization.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Excel and financial software/database. SAP/ ERP knowledge, preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills. Demonstrated ability to work with others at all levels of the organization.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, planning and project management skills.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and advanced problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize work. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and challenges.
- Detail oriented in the execution and follow-up of work.
- Ability to effectively manage and lead change.
- Takes initiative.
Supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce is important to Shutterfly not only because it directly reflects our value of Embracing our Differences, but also because it’s the right thing to do for our business and for our people. Learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Shutterfly DE&I.