At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy. Lifetouch has been the professional photography choice for schools and families for more than 80 years. Built on the tradition of “Picture Day” Lifetouch captures smiling faces, preschool through high school graduation. We also reach our customers through additional product lines including portrait studios, yearbooks, sports, events, and churches.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Photography Supervisor plays an important role in managing and leading a team of Photographers to ensure efficient and successful Picture Day operation and execution. This role includes staff readiness activities such as recruiting, hiring, training, coaching and managing performance to drive picture quality and productivity to meet or exceed business goals as well as maximize account retention.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Carries out supervisory responsibilities including but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, on-boarding and training new employees as well as supervising, coaching, and development of photography staff including routine performance management.
● Observes photography on the job to identify opportunities for photographer performance improvement and development.
● Safeguards and properly handles money, job bags and photography equipment.
● Provides feedback to the Photography Leader to manage performance.
● Attends regular meetings with the Photography Leader to review and discuss photography quality, review policies and discuss any changes.
● Manages and is accountable for photography labour spending and productivity for assigned photographers.
● Responsible for communication of critical Area and company updates to staff.
● Prepares and conducts routine performance reviews for photography staff.
● Develops, manages and promotes positive team culture.
Training & Quality
● Assists with seasonal photography program training.
● Provides on-going coaching and training to assigned photographers on the job to include photo quality, paperwork and proper equipment setup and take down.
● Responds effectively to difficult photography situations that arise at the schools and provides appropriate guidance to photographers and communication to appropriate school leaders.
● Oversees the coordination and execution of the overall photography experience at the school.
● Promotes open communication among photography, operations and sales staff to ensure photographers are prepared for upcoming jobs (i.e. relevant school-specific details, supplies, paperwork, etc.).
Equipment & Supplies Support
● Oversees photography equipment including maintaining a detailed inventory of all cameras, equipment, backgrounds, props, etc.
● Coordinates shipping and receiving of equipment between various locations and Equipment Systems Support.
● Maintains and distributes photography equipment, supplies and any other information needed to successfully execute picture days.
● Conducts photography equipment tests as directed by the Photography Leader and informs them of test results
● Responsible for efficient picture day scheduling ensuring appropriate match of photographer’s skills and maximization of productivity.
● Responsible for overall labour management to assigned targets.
● Reviews and approves all non-exempt employee time records in the designated timekeeping system in accordance with company policy.
● Demonstrates care and concern for the safety and health of self and others by promoting and modeling all safety rules and guidelines.
● Maintains confidentiality of school/student related information.
● Represents Lifetouch in a professional manner at all times while adhering to all Company and school rules and policies and displays confidence and professionalism even during times of stress and in difficult situations.
● Uses safe work habits including proper lifting, bending, pushing, pulling, squatting, twisting and driving techniques.
● Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
● High school diploma or general education degree (GED); 3- 4 years of related photography experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Proven ability to lead and effectively manage a team.
● Knowledge of photography equipment.
● Strong leadership, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
● Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
● Ability to travel with occasional overnight stays.
● Accessibility to reliable insured transportation to reach assigned locations. Vehicle insurance must be current and in compliance with provincial law.
● Must have a valid driver’s license.
When performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, stand, walk, bend, squat, climb, kneel, crawl, twist, balance, reach, use hands and fingers to perform repetitive tasks and assemble/disassemble equipment. The employee must be able to frequently lift and move up to 40 pounds - and occasionally up to 50 pounds.