Sr. Tax Analyst I
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy. Supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce is important to Shutterfly not only because it directly reflects our value of Embracing our Differences, but also because it’s the right thing to do for our business and for our people. Learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Shutterfly DE&I.
This position is part of Shutterfly’s corporate Finance team and reports to the Tax Manager. This position will interface with personnel at various levels of the Company as well as external partners. Primary responsibilities include managing the Company’s indirect tax reporting, audits by governmental authorities, as well as supporting tax planning efforts.
This role offers many opportunities, including being part of a growing and profitable company within a dynamic Finance team.
What You'll Do Here:
The individual will be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Audits, Property Tax, Research
- Support a co-sourced monthly sales and use tax compliance process, including review of domestic sales/use tax filings;
- Prepare and manage all aspects of the annual property tax cycle for multiple locations, including Arizona, California, Massachusetts, and Minnesota
- Prepare and manage the gross receipts returns for various jurisdictions
- Strong focus on improving controls and processes, including implementation of technology solutions.
- Manage audits and inquiries by governmental authorities;
- Research and provide guidance to business on contracts, complex transactions,
- Develop and execute periodic reporting for senior management review;
- Assist in the implementation of tax planning projects;
- Research, evaluate and document tax implications of complex or non-standard transactions;
- Provide audit documentation to the external auditors;
- Monitor and ensure SOX compliance in relation to direct tax related financial reporting controls;
- Partner with FP&A in forecasting;
- Manage exemption certificate process;
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of process improvements as appropriate, to simplify, standardize and streamline tax reporting.
- Work with billing team to resolve customer sales tax issues.
- Prepare and review monthly general ledger account reconciliations for various sales and use tax accounts and prepare journal entries
- Assist with the taxability system set up for new products
- Strong organization skills, problem-solving and analytical skills;
- Good business sense;
- Strong attention to detail and sense of ownership;
- Positive attitude and dependable team player willing to “roll up their sleeves” to get the work done;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and work well with people at a wide range of levels and areas;
- Ability to complete assignments with minimal supervision and prioritize work to achieve objectives;
- Flexible mindset and willingness to embrace change;
- Effective writing, presentation and communication skills.
- Ability to understand and communicate accounting issues, including developing processes to record.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and perform under pressure
- Knowledge of tax software and accounting systems (including Vertex, Avalara, Oracle)
- BS Degree in Business, Accounting or related field
- 5+ years of sales/use tax experience
- High Proficiency in Excel
- Experience with retail and manufacturing operations a plus
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship or transfers for this role at this time. No candidates requiring visa sponsorship or transfer will be considered.