At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Leading high-level concepting and campaign work is like riding a bike to you. Your LinkedIn profile is overflowing with admiration of your exceptional leadership from the multiple teams, campaigns, and projects you’ve led at prominent external or in-house agencies. Empowerment is how you operate, but you know when to lean in and tactfully coach and develop talent through informal conversations and strategic goal-setting. You love smashing walls (“silos” in corporate speak), working across a variety of departments, building strong relationships and connecting chains of communication to lead to excellent project outcomes. Your natural curiosity drives you to understand the business as a whole and means you stay ahead of the curve creatively. You get “stuff” done. You’re bored with anything slower than fast-paced; a start-up mindset is in your DNA. You can juggle a lot without breaking a sweat, but you know when to delegate to best support your teams.
Shutterfly is hiring an experienced Creative Director (Director, Creative Services) to join our dynamic in-house agency of ego-free misfits based in Eden Prairie, MN. We are standing up a new team that will continue to evolve the beloved Shutterfly brand legacy. You’ll be joining us mid evolution to help continue to shape and build the department. This new team is becoming a center of creative excellence comprised of Creative and Art Directors, Designers, Copywriters, Visual Designers and inhouse Photo and Production Studio teams. Our creatives are enthusiastic and thrive in a highly collaborative, sometimes quick-turn environment. Positive vibes only. Well, at least 93% of the time (we’re only human).
About the Role:
As a Creative Director (Director, Creative Services) reporting directly to the Vice President of Creative and Design, this role is responsible for developing creative concepts and integrated campaigns for our ecommerce brands and target audiences. This role requires someone with strong brand and marketing campaign experience with the ability to take concept through to detailed execution across channels, never losing site of driving business goals.
The Creative Director, Brand (Director, Creative Services), collaborates with our Photo Studio experts to drive photo strategy, sometimes directing photo shoots that generate assets for all marketing channels. Additionally, this role leads support of both the UX and Merch teams with visual brand guides that effectively reflect our target audience’s attitudes, tastes and preferences.
Manages a team of 10-15 direct and indirect reports, charged with maintaining strong partnerships and ensuring these creatives maintain continuity of concept through execution.
- Lead work to deliver creative guidance, campaign concept and execution, and photo shoot art direction.
- Champion and co-lead our Brand and Design Systems efforts to ensure the entire department has the tools and assets they need to succeed.
- Ensure that creative work is compelling, consistent, adheres to brand standards, and accomplishes revenue, customer retention and customer acquisition goals.
- Radically partner with internal marketing and ecommerce clients to deliver results for the business through collaboration and creative leadership.
- Provide creative leadership and proactive coaching for your team to ensure their success and professional development.
- Proactively identify and help lead transformational efforts with your creative leadership peers in operations and photography, continuously improving how we support and enhance work across our brands.
- Be prepared to take on delegated tasks from the VP Creative & Design and represent the whole department internally and externally.
- Continuously recruit and retain top and diverse talent for our growing team.
- Be a champion and sponsor of under-represented creatives internally and externally.
- 15+ years of industry experience in retail or ecommerce with a minimum of 5-6 years managing direct and indirect reports.
- Retail / e-commerce experience a must, with a high-volume project load (1,000+/year).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Advertising, Fine Arts, Graphic Art, Architecture, or Design highly preferred, but will accept additional experience in lieu of formal education.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with peers, direct reports and c-suite level management.
- First-rate teamwork and collaboration across departments and teams.
- Strong and credible problem solver with a solutions-oriented, proactive approach.
- Highly developed business acumen combined with creative excellence.
- Stays current with creative, marketing and technology trends.
- History of leveraging tools and technology to work more effectively.
- Great eye and aesthetic that matches Shutterfly brand.
- Low ego, balanced with confidence and a healthy sense of personal drive and ambition.
- Proven ability to make sound decisions for the creative work and teams.
- A great attitude and flexibility towards business and its ever-changing, sometime ambiguous nature.
- A sense of humor and the ability to have fun doing what you love.