Senior Backend Engineer
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Spoonflower’s mission is to inspire individuals to make, buy and sell unique products built around color and pattern. Our e-commerce website makes it possible for individuals to create, sell, and shop for unique fabrics, wallpaper, and home decor, such as bedding and table linens. As a part of the Shutterfly family of brands, Spoonflower increases the depth and breadth of what people can create, customize, and buy by connecting Shutterfly users to more than 1 million designs by independent artists in the Spoonflower global marketplace.
We are seeking a Senior Backend Developer to help us build out our product offering and develop new features and functionality for our global e-commerce website.
As a Senior Backend Developer, you will belong to an organization with full autonomy and accountability to evolve the platform, make key technical decisions and partner with product managers and designers to deliver business value. This position is best suited for a creative, experienced engineer who has the ability to learn to code in multiple languages. The ideal candidate should be able to provide meaningful collaboration, work well with tight knit engineering, product, marketing and design teams and be excited for the opportunity to contribute directly to the development and maintenance of Spoonflower's technology and community.
What You'll Do Here
- Developing new features and functionality for our various applications
- Continuously improving, refactoring, and modernizing the existing codebase
- Monitoring quality, optimizing performance, and developing test coverage and methodologies for continuous code release
- Adhering to and supporting the agile software development methodology employed within the engineering team
- Providing mentorship and guidance to junior developers
- 8-10+ years of programming experience
- On the job experience in Typescript or another statically typed language
- Data modeling and data architecture experience
- Familiarity with the AWS pipeline of services, including but not limited to: RDS, SNS, SQS, EC2
Experience with functional programming is a plus
- Experience with systems level language programming a plus
- Experience in image processing is a plus
It's Not Required But Nice To Have:
- A passionate problem solver, used to looking for the best solution rather than jumping at the first answer
- Able to self manage time well through careful prioritization and planning
- Able to be accountable for production-level code and have a track record of delivering quality, bug-free code
- Someone with hands on experience working with or building e-commerce products or platforms
- Excited about the latest trends in application design and best practices
Colorado only*- This position has a minimum salary of $89,300.00. You may also be offered a bonus and benefits. Details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: Benefits at Shutterfly
*Note: Disclosure of the minimum salary is required for this role when being hired in Colorado (SB19-085)
Supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce is important to Shutterfly not only because it directly reflects our value of Embracing our Differences, but also because it’s the right thing to do for our business and for our people. Learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Shutterfly DE&I.