Managing Art Director
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Building a strong team of creatives that push boundaries is in your DNA. Your ecommerce experience is extensive, ideally for brands people love. You’re driven to create groundbreaking work that’s engaging and cuts through the clutter to exceed business goals. A/B testing is your friend. You’re excited to discover and iterate creative for multiple audiences through dynamic personalization. And you can delve into channel-specific work with an omni-campaign mindset.
We’re a Creative Department looking for the right Managing Art Director (Manager, Art Management) to join our in-house team of ego-free misfits. Our creatives are enthusiastic and thrive in a highly collaborative, sometimes quick-turn environment. Positive vibes only. Well, at least 93% of the time (we’re only human).
About the Role:
The Managing Art Director (Manager, Art Management) drives work within email, social, direct mail, and promo channels. You’ll lead, develop and retain a growing team that produces work efficiently and with brand consistency. Exceptional coaching and mentoring skills are a must. As well as being an excellent partner and collaborator. This role requires an organized multitasker, the ability to hit the ground running and an eye to always improve. This is a management position with 3 direct reports within a team of 5 peers. Reports to the Creative Director.
- Ensure that creative work is compelling, consistent, adheres to brand standards, bring campaign goals to life, and accomplishes revenue, customer retention and customer acquisition goals.
- Partner effectively with cross-functional partners in marketing and merchandising to identify requirements, gain foundation for project vision, and conduct project in ways that instill confidence and trust.
- Active participation in project Kickoffs, asking insightful questions to gain detail, clarification and alignment with Marketing Partners.
- Lead innovative thinking, championing better ways to deliver on internal client requests.
- Work collaboratively with the Creative Director to define creative vision, bringing groundbreaking creative ideas and solutions to the table.
- Confidently present ideas and concepts to Creative Director and internal clients with a spirit of collaboration.
- Support A/B testing and multivariate testing.
- Provide effective direction to bring creative vision to life.
- Inspire collaborative brainstorming.
- Provide clear and effective creative leadership and mentorship to your team.
- Ensure individual success and professional development.
- Juggle a mix of long-term and quick-turnaround projects, often with overlapping priorities and urgency.
- Show professionalism in all aspects of your daily tasks, including taking feedback and edits with grace and positivity.
- Be self-motivated.
- Continually adopt new tools and practices as the work evolves.
- Manage work tasks, functions and time sheet using department’s project management tool.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Advertising, Fine Arts, Graphic Art, Architecture, or Design highly preferred, but will accept additional experience in lieu of formal education.
- 6+ years’ experience with a minimum 3 years’ managing designers.
- Portfolio to showcase your skills.
- Hands-on experience designing across marketing channels with a focus in digital (email, site, social, display).
- Agency experience preferred.
- Retail / eCommerce experience a must.
- Track record working with loved brands.
- Great eye and aesthetic that compliments and elevates Shutterfly brand.
- A solid understanding of advertising technology and digital marketing solutions.
- Ability to prioritize workloads and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Be self-motivated and a thoughtful, yet quick problem solver.
- Patience and infectious, positive attitude with a collaborative approach.
- Low ego, balanced with confidence and a healthy sense of personal drive, ambition and ownership.
- A great attitude and flexibility towards business and its ever-changing, sometimes ambiguous nature.
- Sense of humor and the ability to have fun doing what you love.