Senior Software Engineer
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy. Supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce is important to Shutterfly not only because it directly reflects our value of Embracing our Differences, but also because it’s the right thing to do for our business and for our people. Learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Shutterfly DE&I.
The Production Platform team is focused on solving complex software engineering problems in a micro-architecture cloud environment. With this focus, we provide the foundation and platform to create and manufacture personalized products to a customer’s doorstep. Our engineering team has a direct impact on the quality, experience, and delivery of a customer order. The Production Platform team at Shutterfly is ever evolving, growing, and running to the forefront to tackle complex engineering problems through collaboration, integrating new technologies, and fostering an environment with learning and creativity.
The Senior Software Engineer II will be part of a cross functional team focused on having a direct impact to Shutterfly’s growth initiatives – specifically in building the software capabilities to support new personalized products in Shutterfly’s portfolio. We are looking for energetic, collaborative, and technically adept engineers that are passionate about delivering results and having a direct impact on the product that arrives at a Shutterfly’s customer door. We encourage continued growth, transparency in influence cross-functionally, and provide a culture built on empowerment to achieve success and have ownership on technology deliverables. If you are interested in joining a collaborative, cultural driven team – we want to hear from you now!
What You’ll Do Here:
- Provide hands on coding approximately 80% of the time depending on the size of the project. Our tech stack here is Java/Python.
- Document and develop in-depth knowledge of assigned domain architecture, hardware and network infrastructure, and technology portfolio.
- Overall technical implementation and quality of assigned projects and technical domain
- Demonstrate a strong initiative and follow through in executing project responsibilities, overcoming obstacles, and balancing multiple priorities effectively
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to present and explain technical designs and business requirements to other team members.
- Improve overall development and deployment process, including Continuous Integration and Business-Driven Development.
- Lead, refine and ensure application development processes are in alignment with the goals of Application Architecture, Quality Assurance and Change Management.
- Mentor other team members, complete software development duties, assist in technical designs, unit testing and code reviews.
The Skill’s You’ll Bring:
- 6+ years Application Development experience
- 3+ years of AWS Cloud Services such as: S3, SQS, EC2, RDS, API Gateway, and Lambda; AWS related certifications are a plus
- Experience building high quality applications by creating a well-designed architecture, writing clean code and implementing common industry practices (e.g. continuous integration, unit tests).
- Ability to mentor and lead other technical team members without having direct supervision responsibility
- A background successfully delivering applications using agile methods and collaborating with non-technical team members including quality assurance, business analysts, and project managers
- Experience creating RESTful web services, Microservices and asynchronous messaging
- Creating single page applications using a framework such as Angular and React
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree Computer Science (along with related experience)
- Database experience with Aurora or PostgreSQL is a plus
- Experience with any workflow engine is a plus
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent work experience preferred