Principal Software Engineer Backend *U.S. Remote only
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
We are looking for a well-rounded Principal software engineer to join our team and help build an experience that allow millions of customers every day to share & transform their cherished photographs into products. You must have a deep interest in Android development and have a solid theoretical foundation in computer science, a broad knowledge of software architecture and modular design. You will advance our Android expertise by designing, implementing and testing mobile applications for the online photo merchandising market.
*** May possibly consider U.S. remote for the right candidate
Principal Engineer - Engineering
Spoonflower, the world’s largest print on demand platform is seeking experienced, highly motivated Staff engineer to join our engineering team. This position is responsible to conceptualize, architect, feature design and development, maintenance, and support of our consumer facing e-commerce applications in AWS environments. This position will drive adding new features to existing platforms and also reimagine consumer experience with new tech stack. Desired business outcomes include higher customer satisfaction, improved conversion and highly engaging, stable and scalable consumer experience to support leadership decision making.
What you will do here:
- Work collaboratively with others within and outside of team to build, deliver, and support effective, cloud technology solutions aligned to specified business initiatives
- Drive, participate and oversee the design and development of e-commerce solutions to meet business and technical requirements, leveraging architecture patterns and following development processes
- Provide recommendations to improve scalability, performance and availability, and reduce administration time for various systems
- Acts as a mentor for junior engineers
- Define, maintain and constantly evolve technology architectures
- Conduct code reviews, provide technical mentoring, ensure proper architectural oversight, and guarantee delivery of quality code by the team
- Actively take lead on efforts to improve the availability, performance and the customer experience of our systems.
- Based upon management direction, plans and implements strategies for meeting technology needs
- Monitors project deliverables, as directed, to ensure visibility to management
- Work collaboratively with others within and outside of his or her function to achieve goals, simplify processes, reduce costs, prevent loss, and to ensure that work is completed safely, accurately, and on time
- Model team commitment by adhering to the team's expectations and guidelines; fulfilling team responsibilities; and demonstrating personal commitment
What you will bring to the table:
- 8+ years of experience with architecting/engineering IT solutions, with proven experience-based expertise in designing complex web applications
- 2-3 years’ experience working in Agile and Scrum environments
- Expert knowledge of Ruby on Rails
- Deep understanding of design patterns.
- Experience working with RESTful APIs
- Confident in writing unit/integration tests
- Experience in large scale application is a plus
- Experience with Docker/Kubernetes is a plus
- Proficient in object oriented design and development
- Proficient project planning skills, including the ability to organize, prioritize and control job responsibilities in order to meet deadline
- Prior experience in a retail high-volume E-Commerce environment preferred
- Nice to have: Experience with Jenkins, ansible, cron jobs, front end technologies Redux, HTML, CSS, Webpack, npm
- Amazon Web Services, Puma, nginx, Docker, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Git, Jira, New Relic, Ngnix, api gateway, SNS, SQS
Colorado only*- This position has a minimum salary of $128,700.00. You may also be offered a bonus and benefits. Details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: Benefits at Shutterfly
*Note: Disclosure of the minimum salary is required for this role when being hired in Colorado (SB19-085)
Supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce is important to Shutterfly not only because it directly reflects our value of Embracing our Differences, but also because it’s the right thing to do for our business and for our people. Learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Shutterfly DE&I.