Tax Analyst (Sales and Indirect)
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Shutterfly is seeking an Indirect Tax Associate to join our team of tax professionals. This position will report to the Tax Manager - Indirect Tax and can be located in Eden Prairie, MN or Tempe, AZ.
What You'll Do Here:
Sales and Use Tax Returns:
- File monthly, quarterly, and annual US Indirect tax returns, including but not limited to, Sales Tax, Use Tax and Gross Receipts Tax returns for Shutterfly entities and subsidiaries
- Pull data from source ERP systems
- Use Vertex Returns system
- Prepare general ledger account reconciliations for tax accounts
- Prepare check and payment requests
- File paper and electronic tax returns
- Review, researcher and respond to correspondences from taxing jurisdictions.
- Manage Tax audits conducted by state and local jurisdictions
- Research Tax Law on the taxability of products
- Assist with exemption certificate requests
- Communicate efficiently and accurately with external auditors and stakeholders about Indirect tax issues
Property Tax Administration:
- Prepare business personal property tax returns/renditions annually for all states for multiple companies.
- Review property tax assessments
- Review, validate and pay property tax bills.
- Review, research and respond to correspondence from taxing jurisdictions.
- Conduct tax research
- Pull transaction backup such as invoices, expense reports and journal entries from various sources for audit transaction detail requests
- Prepare various sales and purchases summaries for selected jurisdictions and audit periods
- Trace transactions through multiple systems to substantiate the correct payment of tax.
Business Licensing Administration:
- Prepare business licenses and/or gross receipts tax returns for all locations including registering new locations prior to opening, and renewing licenses for existing locations and cancelling licenses for closed locations.
- Coordinate registrations with S&U Tax, Payroll, Legal and Corporate Income Tax.
- Assist with maintaining Sales & Use tax registrations/licenses as needed.
- Review, research and respond to correspondences from taxing jurisdictions
Unclaimed Property Administration:
- Prepare, file and pay unclaimed property reports in accordance with state regulations for all 50 states and the District of Columbia by the appropriate annual State due dates.
- Assist with ongoing support of Tracker software.
What You'll Bring:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Tax preferred.
- 5 year MBA a plus
- 1 to 3 years of Indirect Tax experience (Sales Tax, Use Tax and Gross Receipts Tax) in corporate or public accounting environment preferred
- General tax or accounting experience including, Business License and Unclaimed Property filing experience a plus
- Strong computer and technology skills with a proficiency in Microsoft Excel, including pivot tables and Vlookup.
- SAP and Lawson preferred
- Must be flexible with strong judgment, decision-making, and analytical skills
- Must have ability to prioritize workload in order to meet competing deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Must have strong attention to detail, yet understand and apply the degree of accuracy necessary for the task at hand
- Must be comfortable with virtual communications and working with geographically disparate groups
- Must be organized and demonstrate ability to complete complex tasks and projects requiring independent initiative
- Must be energetic and have a high sense of urgency while working on projects
- Must be a quick learner who is willing to take on new challenges and roles
- Must have ability to understand and complete governmental forms
If this aligns to your career goals, skills and experience, we want to work with you!
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship or transfers for this role at this time. No candidates requiring visa sponsorship or transfer will be considered.