Corporate Counsel, Employment Law & Litigation
At Shutterfly, we make life’s experiences unforgettable. We believe there is extraordinary power in the self-expression. That’s why our family of brands helps customers create products and capture moments that reflect who they uniquely are.
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
The Corporate Counsel, Employment Law & Litigation, will support our Human Resources and business partners on assigned employment law matters for all of Shutterfly’s family of brands, providing practical, commercially focused, and risk-weighted advice on a broad range of employment, benefits and related compliance matters and assist with the implementation of creation of forms, processes and trainings related to employment and employment litigation matters. This role also involves handling cutting-edge and complex legal projects and supporting the resolution of agency charges and employment litigation matters. The successful candidate will possess excellent communication, problem-solving and organizational skills, and enjoy a fast-paced, hands-on, proactive environment. This candidate will be comfortable working collaboratively and proactively within the Legal team, as well as across other functional teams and with external stakeholders, and will be able to manage projects and people effectively, but also be hands on and roll up their sleeves. This role will report directly to Shutterfly’s Associate General Counsel, Compliance, Employment & Litigation.
What You’ll Do Here
The Corporate Counsel, Employment Law & Litigation may perform the following duties:
- Advise on employment matters, both domestically and internationally, including state and federal compliance (e.g., ADA, ADEA, Title VII, PDA, FMLA, FLSA, WARN Act, USERRA and state/municipal equivalents), disciplinary actions, wage & hour issues, investigations, disability and religious accommodations, position eliminations and group workforce reductions.
- Advise on deferred compensation plans and programs, employee health and safety programs, and employee privacy issues.
- Actively monitor new laws, regulations and decisions affecting the substantive areas of employment law and litigation and provide strategic advice to the Legal and HR teams.
- Respond to day-to-day policy issues raised within the organization and, according to circumstances, provide guidance and recommendations for problem resolution.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of industry-leading practices and trends.
- Draft and negotiate offer letters and employment-related agreements, including severance, restrictive covenant, retention, and other agreements.
- Draft employee-facing policies, handbooks and other resources, enhance our checklists, processes, templates and forms.
- Support resolution of federal, state and local agency claims and charges.
- Support resolution of employment arbitrations and litigation matters, including the selection and management of outside counsel.
- Provide employment law support for mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures.
- Design and present training on employment law matters.
- Review, interpret and make recommendations to stakeholders for improvement of HR policies, procedures and programs.
- Manage a wide variety of employment related disputes and litigation matters, including class actions and workers comp matters.
What You’ll Bring
- At least five years of relevant employment law experience partnering with business, HR and legal stakeholders on employment law issues, including investigations, terminations and reductions in force and implementing or improving the process related to those matters.
- Hands-on management of litigation matters across a variety of areas.
- Experience partnering with global stakeholders on employment law issues in Canada, the UK, and/or Israel a plus.
- Experience designing and delivering training on employment topics to non-lawyers.
- Experience identifying relevant best practices and demonstrated ability to think creatively.
- Prior management of outside counsel on employment-related matters, including litigation, a plus.
- Familiarity with workers’ compensation and auto/general liability matters a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal/relationship-building skills, including the ability to communicate legal considerations to non-lawyers.
- Highly responsive, flexible, collaborative and service-oriented attitude.
- Ability to adapt to multiple and changing demands and juggle different priorities.
- Capacity to multi-task and handle unanticipated situations and effectively work under pressure.
- Ability to influence and provide timely and effective legal and business advice, support and training at all organizational levels.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Good business judgment and sound decision-making.
- Depending on where the position is located, travel to California and Minnesota may be required. Additional travel may be required.
- Must have a JD degree from an accredited law school.
- Must be a member in good standing of the applicable state bar.
Supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce is important to Shutterfly not only because it directly reflects our value of Embracing our Differences, but also because it’s the right thing to do for our business and for our people. Learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Shutterfly DE&I.
The compensation package for this role is based on multiple factors, such as job level, responsibilities, location, and candidate experience. The base pay ranges included below are specific to the locations listed, and may not be applicable to other locations.
California : [$128,700-$181,250]Connecticut, New York, and Rhode Island: [$128,700-$166,150]
This position may be eligible for a bonus incentive, health benefits, a 401K program, and other employee perks. More details about our company benefits can be found at https://shutterflyinc.com/benefits/.
This position will accept applications on an ongoing basis until filled.