Senior Principal Software Engineer
At Shutterfly, we make life’s experiences unforgettable. We believe there is extraordinary power in self-expression. That’s why our family of brands helps customers create products and capture moments that reflect who they uniquely are.
Shutterfly is seeking to add a Senior Principal Software Engineer who will be instrumental in the design and development of the next generation Shutterfly media and storage system. We're looking for someone who brings fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking, data storage, security and artificial intelligence. We are looking for a versatile engineer who displays leadership qualities and is enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full stack as we continue to push the technology forward. With your technical expertise and people skills, you will work with technical teams across the organization to lead the efforts to bring in architectural efficiencies, help identify and rectify areas of resource overuse, introduce cost saving architectural changes and help lay the foundation for the next generation photos system.
What You’ll Do Here:
- Collaborate with engineering leaders, product management, key stakeholders to introduce architectural simplifications and consolidation across multiple technology stacks and disparate systems.
- Stay on track with latest technologies for the domain and apply the experience and knowledge towards architecture and product features.
- Analyze and articulate the current state of the technology and proposed valued alternatives wherever required.
- Help define and implement the architectural roadmap and own key portions of the implementation.
- Explain the status & value of proposed design/solution that meet preset goals of quality, security and performance to stakeholders.
- Help guide and the activities of development teams.
The Skills You’ll Bring:
- Expert level in distributed computing and storage, including significant experience with the following: server systems, storage, I/O, networking, and systems software.
- Expert level in advanced programming skills to build distributed storage and compute systems, backend services, microservices, and web technologies with the ability to switch between programming environments like Java, C/C++, native programming as well as scripting languages such as Python/Terraform/Perl.
- Expertise in following systems & technologies and how they fit together: http and native clients, DNS, load balancers, reverse proxies, CDNs, application servers, databases, and caches.
- 15+ years of software development experience in the industry with 5 years in a technical leadership role.
- Expertise in building streaming applications using pub sub system, & search technologies
- Proficient with ECS or other containerization technologies
- Proficiency across a wide range of database technologies including relational, document oriented, column oriented and graph databases such Oracle, Mongo, Document DB.
- Expertise in CI/CD technologies such as Chef, Jenkins. Ansible.
- Expertise in AWS architecture. Certification is desirable.
- Highly motivated with strong interpersonal skills. The ability to work successfully with multi-functional teams, other architects and coordinate effectively across organizational boundaries and geographies.
- Track record of successful technical leadership and large-scale architecture that impacted critical projects.
- BS in Computer Science or an engineering related discipline
Supporting a diverse and inclusive workforce is important to Shutterfly not only because it directly reflects our value of Embracing our Differences, but also because it’s the right thing to do for our business and for our people. Learn more about our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Shutterfly DE&I.
The compensation package for this role is based on multiple factors, such as job level, responsibilities, location, and candidate experience. The base pay ranges included below are specific to the locations listed, and may not be applicable to other locations.
Connecticut, New York, and Rhode Island: [$149,5000-193,150]
Colorado and Washington: [$149,5000-179,100]
This position may be eligible for a bonus incentive, health benefits, a 401K program, and other employee perks. More details about our company benefits can be found at https://shutterflyinc.com/benefits/
This position will accept applications on an ongoing basis until filled.