Director, Product Discovery
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Overview & Outcomes
- Product discovery is a method of deeply understanding customers to develop products that perfectly suit their needs.
- This leader will drive systematic product discovery where you drive prioritization around possible new innovations; lead cross-functional teams conceptualizing and building / prototyping; make validated recommendations to our Sr. Leadership team around future product, tech and business investments.
- Additionally, this leader will steward two significant hackathons across the company on an annual basis.
- In this critical role, you will lay the foundation for transforming Shutterfly’s Consumer business and future growth through innovation.
- You have a knack for sensing opportunities. You can demonstrate an ability to identify gaps in a market. You possess an opportunistic mindset that is keenly alert and pushes you to seek novelty wherever you can find it. You also crave new and complicated experiences – always trying to have as much variety in your life as possible.
- You have gained your expertise through some combination of years of training, formal education and hands-on experience. As a result, you have a sharp ability to discern what is relevant information and what is not.
- You are both proactive & persistent. Creativity will only result in innovation through execution. Being resilient in the face of challenges, uncertainty, and adversity separates you from others.
- Your experience has taught you to be prudent. Even though we like to think of innovators as risk takers, in reality, they can be quite the opposite. You fully comprehend the amount of thought and analysis that went into a decision before it was made. As such you show the right modicum of caution, organization, and risk aversion.
- Well-developed emotional intelligence plays a vital role here - you are not an individualistic genius and independent spirit that can come up with all sorts of revolutionary ideas on your own. You are leader that understands that innovation is almost always the product of teamwork. As such you are an adept networker among people of different backgrounds and areas of expertise, bouncing ideas off of them and building alliances, both within the company and outside.
Great to Haves (Your Background)
- You have imagined, built and shipped winning tech products - those that customers love and generated high business value as a result.
- You have deep experience in at least one of the following functional disciplines: Design / User Experience, Product Management, Software Engineering. You are conversant in the others, having worked closely among all three disciplines for years.
- You understand the importance of customer, market and competitive research and can distill actionable insights from all sources of research.
- You are a skilled Agilist, not in name or talk, but in the depth of understanding and commitment to the ongoing practice and pursuit of mastery around Agile.
- You have failed at innovating and creating products; and have learned much as a result.
- You engender trust not only among your colleagues but also stakeholders such as executives and investors. These people rave about you.
- You understand the principles behind lean startups, MVP, design sprints, double-diamond development, etc. and that each represent ingredients but incomplete, whole recipes for modern product development.
- You understand the importance of inclusion and diversity in team composition, thought process and orientations and in product design itself.
- Educational background in art, business, design, engineering and/or product management welcome but none as important as the above.
Learning, Growth & Career Development
This role will challenge and reward the right person with a supportive yet challenging environment to explore, learn, innovate and build. The role is a direct report of the Chief Product Officer, who is an active product coach and experienced career mentor. Based on the individual’s performance in role, future opportunities (e.g. career path) could include:
- Continuing to incubate new product areas and driving innovation across the company
- Taking a lead role in building and scaling one of the opportunities that emerge from our hackathons or product discovery efforts
- Becoming an internal coach to help all delivery teams adopt effective product discovery processes and practices to help evolve and reinvent existing products / categories
- Taking another Sr. Product leadership role within the product organization.
Shutterfly is committed to a “hybrid” work model with a balance between remote work and in-person collaboration. As such, you should be located proximate to one of our primary product, design & development centers: San Francisco Bay Area or Haifa, Israel. Secondary consideration given to Fort Collins CO, Minneapolis MN, Seattle WA and Tempe AZ.
Committed to making all of life’s experiences unforgettable, today Shutterfly is a leading digital retailer and manufacturing platform for photography and personalized products, with ambition to become the world’s leading marketplace of design-centric, personalized products that foster one’s self-expression.
At Shutterfly, we value people who:
- Own it, by delivering on their commitments and take responsibility to go above and beyond any defined role;
- Zoom out, to see the big picture and don’t let silo’s get in the way of the success of our customers, communities or company;
- Move fearlessly, and quickly without sacrificing quality in seizing opportunities and tackling challenges;
- Explore new angles, through hunger and curiosity, welcoming change, seeking improvement, learning equally from success and failure;
- Embrace differences, foster an environment where all voices are heard, ensuring others feel respected, supported and appreciated.
Shutterfly operates three divisions: Consumer, Lifetouch, and Shutterfly Business Solutions. The Consumer division helps customers create the most from life’s moments through its flagship personalized Shutterfly products; premium offerings in its Tiny Prints boutique; Snapfish custom photo gifts, as well as wedding invitations and stationery; and GrooveBook, a monthly subscription service. Lifetouch is the national leader in school photography, built on the enduring tradition of “Picture Day,” and also serves families through portrait studios and other partnerships. Shutterfly Business Solutions delivers enterprise digital printing services that enable efficient and effective customer engagement through personalized communications.