Director, Product Management- Mobile
Shutterfly mobile applications will be a key driver of growth for the company.
This leader will drive product strategy & delivery across both Android and iOS across multiple consumer brands (Shutterfly and Snapfish) and potentially across partners. You will cultivate a small but mighty product team and work in close partnership with Engineering and User Experience to cultivate high rates of user engagement through modern design, innovative features and the best mobile shopping experience for our customers. You and your team will drive prioritization around design, features, underlying technologies; lead cross-functional teams conceptualizing, designing, building, testing, optimizing and operating; and make recommendations around future product, tech and business investments.
Additionally, this leader will be an active supporter of Product Discovery (net new innovation with mobile implications) and as well as of two significant hackathons across the company on an annual basis.
In this critical role, you will lay the foundation for transforming Shutterfly’s Consumer business and future growth through mobile apps that customers love to use again and again.
Great to Haves (Your Skills)
- You have a knack for sensing opportunities. You demonstrate an ability to identify gaps in products and how well they serve customer needs. You are keen user of mobile applications and possess a strong point-of-view (good, bad or ugly) in all products you use.
- You have gained your expertise through some combination of years of training, formal education and hands-on experience in designing, building and shipping mobile apps. As a result, you have a sharp ability to discern what is relevant and valuable and what is not.
- You are both proactive & persistent. Creating novel approaches to problems as well as the hard work associated with strong delivery requires your energy and outlook. Results only occur, ultimately, through execution. Being resilient in the face of challenges, uncertainty, and adversity separates you from others.
- Your experience has taught you to be prudent. Even though we like to think of bold product leaders as risk takers, in reality, they can be quite the opposite. You fully comprehend the amount of thought and analysis that went into a decision before it was made. As such you show the right modicum of caution, organization, and risk aversion.
- Well-developed emotional intelligence plays a vital role here - you are not an individualistic genius and independent spirit that can come up with all sorts of revolutionary ideas on your own. You are leader that understands that great mobile products are almost always the product of teamwork. As such you are an adept networker among people of different backgrounds and areas of expertise, bouncing ideas off of them and building alliances, both within the company and outside.
Great to Haves (Your Background)
- You have imagined, built and shipped winning mobile applications - those that customers love and generated high business value as a result.
- You have deep experience in at least one of the following functional disciplines: Design / User Experience, Product Management, Software Engineering. You are conversant in the others, having worked closely among all three disciplines for years.
- You understand the importance of customer, market and competitive research and can distill actionable insights from all sources of research.
- You are a skilled Agilist, not in name or talk, but in the depth of understanding and commitment to the ongoing practice and pursuit of mastery around Agile.
- You have failed at innovating and creating mobile applications; and have learned much as a result.
- You engender trust not only among your colleagues but also stakeholders such as executives. These people rave about you.
- You understand the principles behind lean startups, MVP, design sprints, double-diamond development, etc. and that each represent ingredients but incomplete, whole recipes for modern product development.
- You understand the importance of inclusion and diversity in team composition, thought process and orientations and in product design itself.
- Educational background in art, business, design, engineering and/or product management welcome but none as important as the above.
Learning, Growth & Career Development
This role will challenge and reward the right person with a supportive yet challenging environment to lead, learn, create and build. The role is a direct report of the Chief Product Officer, who is an active product coach and experienced career mentor. Based on the individual’s performance in role, future opportunities (e.g. career path) could include:
- Continuing to incubate new mobile products and being a key source of growth for the company
- Taking another Sr. Product leadership role within the product organization.
Shutterfly is committed to a “hybrid” work model with a balance between remote work and in-person collaboration. As such, you should be located proximate to one of our primary product, design & development centers: Haifa, Israel or San Francisco Bay Area. Secondary consideration given to Chicago IL, Minneapolis MN, Seattle WA and Tempe AZ.
Committed to making all of life’s experiences unforgettable, today Shutterfly is a leading digital retailer and manufacturing platform for photography and personalized products, with ambition to become the world’s leading marketplace of design-centric, personalized products that foster one’s self-expression.
At Shutterfly, we value people who:
- Own it, by delivering on their commitments and take responsibility to go above and beyond any defined role;
- Zoom out, to see the big picture and don’t let silo’s get in the way of the success of our customers, communities or company;
- Move fearlessly, and quickly without sacrificing quality in seizing opportunities and tackling challenges;
- Explore new angles, through hunger and curiosity, welcoming change, seeking improvement, learning equally from success and failure;
- Embrace differences, foster an environment where all voices are heard, ensuring others feel respected, supported and appreciated.
Shutterfly operates three divisions: Consumer, Lifetouch, and Shutterfly Business Solutions. The Consumer division helps customers create the most from life’s moments through its flagship personalized Shutterfly products; premium offerings in its Tiny Prints boutique; Snapfish custom photo gifts, as well as wedding invitations and stationery; and GrooveBook, a monthly subscription service. Lifetouch is the national leader in school photography, built on the enduring tradition of “Picture Day,” and also serves families through portrait studios and other partnerships. Shutterfly Business Solutions delivers enterprise digital printing services that enable efficient and effective customer engagement through personalized communications.