Software Engineering Manager (Java/AWS)
We are unable to provide visa sponsorship or transfers, for this role at this time. No candidates requiring visa sponsorship or transfer will be considered.
This position will require the candidate to relocate themselves to the Tempe, Arizona area. This is not a remote role.
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products.
Shutterfly Business Solutions (SBS) enables other large companies to connect with their customers using web-to-print software solutions. SBS Technology is responsible for delivering cutting edge software solutions developed on Innovation Core platform and manufacturing PaaS services.
We are looking for a hands-on Software Engineering Manager within a proven track record of developing distributed scale platform.
The ideal candidate will have 5+ years strong hands-on software engineer experience building complex applications using Java technology stack, and at least 2+ years leading and managing a team of software engineers. The position involves managing 2 to 3 Lead Software Engineers and a Lead QA-QE, with extensive hands-on architecture, code reviews and production support work. AWS experience is highly preferred.
- End-to-end ownership (Cradle to Grave: Architecture, Development, QA, Infrastructure, Release, Support) for the assigned SBS line of business applications
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to define clear functional requirements (epics/features/user stories)
- Work with Lead Software Engineers to map functional requirements into technical design tasks and delivery plans. Ensure development teams deliver on committed plans
- Engage technical teams on architecture and technology best practices (microservices, component reuse, distributed and cloud app design patterns)
- Implement quality processes – code reviews, test automation and quality metrics
- Streamline and implement release automation (CI/CD processes), containerization and cloud/AWS migration
- Manage production support requests and support processes
- Recruit, retain and develop engineering talent
- 2+ years’ experience leading and managing Software Development Teams in a formal Development Manager role
- 5+ years hands-on software development experience using Java technology, including strong architecture experience (microservices, PaaS, distributed scale Apps)
- Exceptional technical project management skills (white board design with teams, define work tasks/estimates and create schedules) with ability to manage multiple product lines and projects with competing priorities
- Experience managing production support, quality processes and release automation
- Excellent communication, analytical and leadership skills
- Must have a positive, Can Do! Attitude
- Experience implementing Agile Scrum Process
- Open Source Java, Spring Framework, Spring Boot
- Scale Technologies: Redis, Elastic Search, Kafka, NoSQL
- DevOps (CI/CD, Containerization, Cloud/AWS migration)
- BS/MS in Computer Science
- Strong customer focus and owner mindset
- Proven track record of delivering Software Products