Data Platform Cloud Engineer
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Data Platform Cloud Engineer II
Shutterfly is seeking an experienced Data Platform Engineer with software engineering skills to join the Data Platform and Infrastructure team. You will own, manage and drive end-to-end solutions in data infrastructure and platform operations.
As part of the Platform and Infrastructure team, you will tackle the scalability, operations, security, performance, governance and compliance challenges of the Cloud Data Platform that collect, process and store data for a $2B customer eCommerce, photo, and manufacturing business. You will be part of building next generation Data platform at Shutterfly on AWS, supporting the breadth and depth of the company’s analytic needs, including BI, Data Scientists, Product Management, Product Marketing, CRM, as well the Machine Learning teams providing innovations in our Websites, Mobile Apps and Manufacturing Labs.
- Monitor & manage all aspects of system security, performance, storage, incidents, usage, backup and recovery – for databases, applications, and infrastructure on AWS
- Maintain and support Redshift Cluster and Schemas and business pipelines. Take ownership of the design, governance, performance tuning, capacity planning, data availability and operational aspects of the data solutions
- Use your coding skills across a number of languages (Python and/or Java) and develop appropriate instrumentation to collect metrics on system performance, cost, data ingress/egress /storage processes
- Work with information security and compliance teams in governing policies and procedures
- Have a clear understanding of the reports/analyses/insights to be driven by data and build data driven solutions to optimally support the operational analytics needs
- Coordinate infrastructure enhancements and maintenance with the system/network engineering teams
- Perform technology evaluations and testing to introduce new technologies to be adopted by the data platform team
- Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation to handle issues that occur outside of business hours
- At least 6 years of experience with building and maintaining distributed and high-performance production environments in large-scale consumer enterprises.
- Development and deployment experience with most if not all of the following components of AWS:
- Management - CloudWatch (Events/Logs), IAM, CloudTrail, EC2 Systems Manager and Splunk
- IaaS – EC2, VPC, EBS, ELB, KMS, Config, SNS, SQS, SES, SWF, S3 and Glacier
- Data Management – DMS, Redshift, RDS, EMR, Data Bricks, AWS Batch, Airflow Managed Service, Glue Services and Lambda
- Other - Server Migration, Storage Gateway, CDN
- Very good hands-on experience with development and deployment of above infrastructure with automation tools Terraform and Cloud Formation
- Experience in designing and developing CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins, AWS code pipeline, code build, lambda, .. etc
- Strong CS fundamentals, experience with one of the programming languages (Java, Python) and able to write pipelines for automation, metrics/data collection and system administration purposes
- Understanding of automation and orchestration platforms such as Airflow and AWS Step Functions.
- Ability to learn quickly and think outside of the box with excellent communication skills (written and oral).
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.