Director, Employment and Litigation
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
The Director, Employment and Litigation, will support our Human Resources and business partners on employment law matters for all of Shutterfly’s family of companies, providing practical, commercially focused, and risk-weighted advice on a broad range of employment, benefits and related compliance matters and lead the implementation of creation of forms, processes and trainings related to employment and litigation matters. This role also involves leading and handling cutting-edge and complex legal projects and litigation matters. The successful candidate will possess strong communication, leadership, people-management and organizational skills, and enjoy a fast-paced, hands-on, proactive environment. This candidate will be comfortable working collaboratively and proactively within the Legal team, as well as across other functional teams and with external stakeholders, and will be able to manage projects and people effectively, but also be hands on and roll up their sleeves. This role will report directly to Shutterfly’s Deputy General Counsel. The position can be based near one of our corporate facilities in the Eden Prairie, MN; Bay Area, CA; Tempe, AZ; Fort Mill, SC or Durham, SC.
What You’ll Do Here
- Advise on employment matters, both domestically and internationally, including state and federal compliance (e.g., ADA, ADEA, Title VII, FMLA, FLSA, WARN Act and state/municipal equivalents), disciplinary actions, wage & hour issues, investigations and disability accommodation
- Actively monitor new laws, regulations and decisions affecting the substantive areas of employment law and litigation and provide strategic advice to the Legal team.
- Respond to day-to-day policy issues raised within the organization and, according to circumstances, provide guidance and recommendations for problem resolution
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of industry-leading practices and trends
- Draft and negotiate offer letters and employment-related agreements, including severance, separation, restrictive covenant, retention and other agreements
- Draft employee-facing policies, handbooks and other resources, enhance our processes and forms
- Support resolution of federal, state and local agency claims and charges
- Provide employment law support for mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
- Assist in designing and leading training events on employment law and benefits matters
- Review, interpret and make recommendations to management for improvement of company policies, procedures and programs
- Manage employment arbitrations and litigation, including developing litigation strategy and selecting and managing outside counsel
- Manage disputes, litigation and arbitration matters in a business savvy and cost effective manner, including developing litigation strategy, management of budgets, selecting and managing outside counsel, and reviewing pleadings and other documents.
- Help proactively identify business and legal risk areas and work with the Legal and cross functional teams to address and mitigate
- Implement and maintain litigation and case management best practices
What’s You’ll Bring
- At least eight years of relevant litigation and employment law experience, with prior in-house experience required and some experience with global employment law issues preferred
- Strong people leader with proven ability to manage people and build high-performing teams
- Member in good standing of the Minnesota / California / South Carolina / Arizona / Texas state bar
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal/relationship-building skills, including the ability to communicate legal considerations to non-lawyers
- Highly responsive, flexible, collaborative and service-oriented attitude
- Ability to adapt to multiple and changing demands and juggle different priorities and prioritize for others
- Experience managing outside counsel on strategy and cost-effective budgets
- Experience identifying relevant best practices and demonstrated ability to think creatively
- Ability to influence and provide timely and effective legal and business advice, support and training at all organizational levels
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Good business judgment and sound decision-making
- Detail-oriented, thorough, and careful
- Self-starter with ability to project manage independently in a fast-paced environment and prioritize workflow
- Depending on where the position is located, travel to California and Minnesota may be required