At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Shutterfly has an opportunity for an experienced Application Architect to join our successful organization as a key contributor.
- Provide application architectural consulting expertise, direction, and assistance to Team Leads, Application Engineers, and other Architects
- Provide guidance and mentoring to junior members of the technical team
- Provide hands on coding approximately 40% depending on the size of the project.
- Document architecture and develop in-depth knowledge of assigned domain architecture, and technology portfolio
- Develop, document, make recommendations, and communicate plans for investing in application infrastructure, including analysis of cost reduction opportunities
- Overall technical implementation and quality of assigned projects and technical domain
- Lead across multiple cross-functional teams in a high visibility role and own solutions end-to-end to ensure success for the company
- Collaborate with product managers, operations, and other members of the project team in requirements specification, feasibility analysis, detailed engineering analysis and launch planning
- Demonstrate a strong initiative and follow through in executing project responsibilities, overcoming obstacles, and balancing multiple priorities effectively
- Provide guidance on scalability, availability and performance topics at architecture and implementation levels
- Strong communication skills. Ability to present and explain technical designs and business requirements to other team members.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree Computer Science (along with related experience)
- Minimum ten years related Application Development experience with the following technologies: Python and Java
- Minimum three years of AWS Cloud Services such as: S3, SQS, EC2, RDS, API Gateway, and Lambda; Certification is a plus
- Minimum three years of experience as an Application Architect
- Experience building high quality applications by creating a well-designed architecture, writing clean code and implementing common industry practices (e.g. continuous integration, unit tests).
- Ability to mentor and lead other technical team members without having direct supervision responsibility
- A background successfully delivering applications using agile methods and collaborating with non-technical team members including quality assurance, business analysts, and project managers
- Database experience with Aurora or PostgreSQL is a plus
- Experience with any workflow engine is a plus
- Experience with developing Microservices
- Experience with asynchronous messaging
- Experience creating single page applications using a framework such as Angular and React are preferred
- Experience creating RESTful web services is required