Sr. Data Engineer I
At Shutterfly, we’re all about people — bringing them together, making them feel welcome, and connecting them to experiences. We make our customers’ memories last a lifetime by capturing, preserving, and sharing them through photography and personalized products. Through our family of brands, trend setting products, cutting edge technology, and best in class customer service, we help our customers, and each other, share life’s joy.
Shutterfly is seeking an Experienced Data Engineer to join the Data Warehouse team. You will own, manage and drive the architecture and development of Shutterfly’s Enterprise Data Warehouse.
Position location is Redwood City, CA
As part of the Data Engineering team you will tackle the scalability, performance and distributed computing challenges needed to collect, process and store data for a $2B customer eCommerce, photo, and manufacturing business. You will enhance the next generation Data Warehouse at Shutterfly on AWS, supporting the breadth and depth of the company’s analytic needs, including BI, Data Scientists, Product Management, Product Marketing, CRM, as well the Machine Learning teams providing innovations in our Websites, Mobile Apps and Manufacturing Labs.
The Data Warehouse, Platform and Infrastructure vision is to provide Shutterfly team’s the ability to manage the full life cycle of their data at all levels, simplifying, commoditizing and democratizing its collection, computation and analytics through well-architected use of the AWS.
To apply for this role, we are looking for candidates with sound analytic, design and problem solving skills, who have expertise with distributed and high-performance systems, service design and large scale data ingress, egress and storage. Expertise with the AWS platform & Databricks is a big plus!
- Build design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and enhance full-stack data engineering solutions
- Provide technical leadership to the Data Warehouse Organization, as well as the Shutterfly teams who use Shutterfly’s Enterprise Data Warehouse
- With your technical expertise own and manage project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- Always with a customer focus, evangelize the benefits of existing solutions and new technologies to drive the use and push the technology of the Data Warehouse forward
- Work closely with Data Operations to improve CI/CD pipelines, as well as continually improving the operation and performance of the Data Warehouse
- Work across multiple teams in high visibility roles and own solutions end-to-end
- Expert knowledge Python, Spark and SQL scripting, working knowledge of R or similar statistical computing packages.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in building data & feature engineering applications, including design, implementation, debugging, and support
- Deep understanding of data integration to support analytics & feature engineering for Machine learning algorithms
- Strong at applying data structures, algorithms, and object oriented design, to solve challenging data integration problems
- Experience working in the AWS Services Ecosystem or relevant Cloud Infrastructures such as Google Cloud or Azure
- Experience with Databricks, AWS Glue as a compute environment is a plus
- Bachelor’s / Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent