Director, Government Relations | 32698
ServiceNow makes the world of work, work better for people. ServiceNow delivers digital workflows that create great experiences and unlock productivity.
The individual ServiceNow seeks must be capable of understanding the legislative and policy issues associated with issues pertaining to technology companies, particularly software companies. The successful candidate will represent ServiceNow’s interests before Congress and the Administration.
The Director, Federal Government Relations will be required to create and implement strategic plans to successfully deliver upon corporate priorities and achieve specific legislative results. The successful candidate must possess significant political acumen and have established bi- partisan contacts with Members of Congress, Congressional staff, and in the Administration. He/She must have a proven record of building strong, internal working relationships. Experience with the appropriations process, tech policy and judiciary issues are helpful, but not required.
The Director, Federal Government Affairs, will be expected to:
- Develop and execute strategies to advance ServiceNow’s core public policy objectives with critical governmental and non-governmental audiences. Assume leadership of key initiatives and provide team support to others.
- Communicate regularly with internal business line owners, sales and product teams to ensure awareness of potential risks and benefits of various legislative and regulatory initiatives.
- Work with internal sales and product teams to help tailor ServiceNow’s services to address specific government needs.
- Monitor and provide timely and insightful reports on developments and trends specific to the Company’s identified public policy priorities. Such priorities could include a wide range of corporate and technology issues including, tax, trade, cyber and data security, privacy, intellectual property, encryption, artificial intelligence, future of work, workforce development, and consumer protections.
- Establish and maintain a sophisticated network of political contacts in the tech policy arena, specifically with key Capitol Hill lawmakers and staff, government agencies, trade associations, and third-party groups/community groups who share ServiceNow’s vision of making the work, work better for people.
- Assist in the management and oversight of external consulting resources.
- Provide support and counsel to the Vice President, Global Government Relations and execute special projects when necessary.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 10-15 years combined experience in the legislative arena as a government affairs executive with a major company or trade association, a Congressional staffer, or a senior public servant in a relevant government agency.
Primary qualifications include:
- A keen understanding of the legislative process and deep relationships with key committees including Judiciary, Appropriations, Veterans Affairs, Energy and Commerce, Congressional leaders and staff.
- An understanding of the tech policy industry is strongly preferred, but not required.
- The ability to quickly grasp and address key legislative and policy priorities.
- An ability to work with a wide range of personalities and interests, including industry colleagues, policymakers, staffers, and internal executives
- Demonstrated orientation towards business growth.
- Extensive leadership, political and organizational skills, and the proven ability to successfully execute policy, political, and business objectives in the public policy arena.
- Ability to translate business goals into results through the development and execution of an effective lobbying strategy.
- Ability to understand complex legislative procedures and to work with broad coalitions.
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills, for both internal and external audiences.
- Strong writing and legislative and policy analysis skills.
- The ability to work in and be an integral part of an action-oriented, decision-making environment.
- Have existing relationships or the ability to build a network at all levels of government and business.
- Ability to help administer the Corporate PAC that is under development.
Desired personal characteristics include:
- Deep integrity and excellent values that immediately generates respect and trust, internally and externally.
- The intellectual horsepower to grasp complex issues and a passion to learn more.
- A sense of pride in your work-product, coupled with self-awareness and a humble willingness to admit mistakes and identify weaknesses.
- Fair and respectful in every setting.
- Innovative, creative, and driven to succeed.
- A natural energy and positive attitude.
Making Complex Decisions
- Can solve even the toughest and most complex of problems; great at gleaning meaning from whatever data is available; is a quick study of the new and different; adds personal wisdom and experience to come to the best conclusion and solution, given the situation; uses multiple problem-solving tools and techniques.
Creating the New and Different
- Is able to come up with the next great breakthrough thing to do; is creative, a visionary, and can manage innovation; is an effective strategist full of ideas and possibilities; sees multiple futures; has broad interests and knowledge; can both create and bring exciting ideas to market; comfortable speculating about alternative futures without all of the data.
Focusing on Action and Outcomes
- Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
- Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
- Warm, friendly, and interpersonally agile; easy to approach and talk to; relates well to all kinds of people; makes a pleasant first impression and builds solid relationships.
Acting with Honor and Character
- Is a person of high character; is consistent and acts in line with a clear and visible set of values and beliefs; deals and talks straight; walks his/her talk; is direct and truthful but at the same time can keep confidences.
Being Open and Receptive
- At ease and relaxed; easy to talk to and get to know; listens attentively; is an open book; has a positive sense of humor; deals calmly with stress and gives people a chance to catch up.
An undergraduate degree is required. An advanced degree in business, law, or policy is preferred.
COMPENSATIONA competitive compensation package will be provided to attract outstanding candidates.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.