Senior Staff Machine Learning Engineer | 25580
Job Title: Senior Staff Machine Learning Engineer
Job Location: Santa Clara, CA
This position reports to: Director, Machine Learning Engineering
ServiceNow is changing the way people work. With a service-orientation toward the activities, tasks and processes that make up day-to-day work life, we help the modern enterprise operate faster and be more scalable than ever before.
We’re disruptive. We work hard but try not to take ourselves too seriously. We are highly adaptable and constantly evolving. We are passionate about our product, and we live for our customers. We have high expectations and a career at ServiceNow means challenging yourself to always be better.
The Machine Learning group at ServiceNow builds infrastructure and design models to solve a wide range of business problems for many of the largest, best known companies in the world. We work in close collaboration with each of our Business Units and craft solutions from initial requirements gathering, through design and testing of the best adapted machine learning techniques, to production deployment of high-performance solutions.
What you get to do in this role:
You will play a major part in building a pioneering conversational interface for interacting with data. Traditional analytical tools tend to require a technically savvy user and a lot of training and experience in order to produce even fairly simple results. We are taking a completely fresh approach with the expectation that any user, regardless of technical knowledge, should be able to pose simple questions using natural language and get meaningful results and visualizations. Any business user familiar with the usual vocabulary they use to talk with their coworkers will be able to get real data from the system. We are just getting started with our early adopter customers and we need your help to scale the architecture to handle our 5k+ enterprise customers around the world.
- Build the best cloud software for businesses using a market leading development cloud platform.
- Work closely with the product owners to understand detailed requirements and own your code from design, implementation, test automation and delivery of high quality product to our users.
- Collaborate day-to-day with an energetic team of like-minded developers, product managers and quality engineers using agile software development methodology.
- Master new functional areas and take ownership of features that matter to our customers.
- Design features with a core commitment to quality and an eye to how the products will evolve in future releases
In order to be successful in this role, we need someone who has:
Good knowledge of and a strong interest in linguistics and NLP. The key job responsibility at first will be to maintain, enhance, and evolve the architecture for the grammar rules which drive our NLQ technology. We need to evolve from customer/user interviews to test the effectiveness of our query grammar to a more automatic, context dependent, adaptive, learned-from-data style of grammar management. This will bring you into direct contact with the most sophisticated contemporary neural network-based NLP technologies (think Transformers, BERT, ALBERT, etc.) as we grow, while keeping you grounded in a tech stack that will remain relevant as various waves of AI hype come and go.
You will be joining a strong team with domain experts ready to teach you anything you don’t already know. An exact match on skills is less critical than strong design instincts, high quality coding discipline and enthusiasm for taking on an ambitious project that will reshape the way people interact with enterprise software. Be there from the beginning!
- Demonstrated experience, professional interest in NLP technology and applied linguistics
- Experience with Search/Information Retrieval would be helpful
- Experience with rule-based systems would be helpful
- 5+ years working in a comparable software development role
- Expertise with Java, OOP, Design Patterns, time and space-efficient algorithms
- Experience building new products that leverage challenging high-performance algorithms
- Passion for software development and problem solving
- High energy, self-starter with aptitude for learning new technologies
- Expertise in coding efficient, object-oriented, modularized and quality software
- Knowledge of AJAX, JSON, HTML, XML, CSS, SOAP, REST and associated frameworks
- Knowledge of unit testing, profiling, and code tuning
- Exceptional debugging, testing, and problem-solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Experience with open source technologies like Linux and MySQL
- Strong educational background in Computer Science or similar discipline, graduate degree a plus
- Knowledge of Machine Learning algorithms
- Familiarity with Unix shell and source control systems and tools such as git, maven and ant.
- Familiarity with Eclipse or IntelliJ.
- Experience developing on the ServiceNow platform and API’s
We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and a professional atmosphere. This is a very collaborative and inclusive work environment where individuals strong on aptitude and attitude will have an opportunity to grow their professional careers through working with some of the most advanced technology and talented developers in the business.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at (408) 501-8550, or email@example.com for assistance.