Principal / Distinguished Software Engineer - Platform Persistence | 29080
Job Title: Principal / Distinguished Software Engineer
Location: San Diego, CA
ServiceNow is changing the way people work. We help the modern enterprise operate faster and be more scalable than ever before.
We’re disruptive. We work hard but try not to take ourselves too seriously. We are highly adaptable and constantly evolving. We are passionate about our product, and we live for our customers. We have high expectations and a career at ServiceNow means challenging yourself to always be better.
What you get to do in this role:
As a Principal Software Engineer with the Platform Persistence group, you will be responsible for leading key initiatives that go across different products and significantly affect our platform ecosystem that allows our customers to create innovative, elegant and high performing experiences across multiple devices.
The Platform Persistence group has teams that provide storage API for higher layer applications, build our Time Series capability and/or work to scale our application platforms. Depending on the nature of the data, the storage systems include relational database, non-relational database such as columnar database, time series database, or message queue system.
Our largest customers are always pushing the limits of the backend storage in terms of size of the data, speed of IO, as well as number of concurrent transactions. Performance, reliability and scalability is always at the core of our work.
You will use your experience building modern web technologies and your expertise in performance, architecture, and object-oriented design to push the boundaries of our platform.
You will also collaborate with cross-functional engineering teams to develop new and improve on existing platform features.
You will provide technical leadership and be able to coach and mentor other software engineers in different methodologies
You will provide perspective on leading industry trends, recommendations on new and emerging technologies, and are able to resolve complex technical problems
In order to be successful in this role, we need someone who has:
10+ years software development experience including:
- Expert level understanding of best practices for object-oriented and modularized software. Particular emphasis on Java Experience with relational databases such as MySQL and Oracle
- Expert level understanding of web technologies: HTTP and backend programming of web applications
- Expert level understanding of concurrency and multi-threaded applications
- Relational Database Expertise: Developing on, troubleshooting and optimizing performance
- Demonstrated success completing complex projects, on time
- Experience developing web applications at scale
- Experience with troubleshooting difficult production issues e.g. memory leaks, network problems, intermittent failures etc. across the stack
It'd be even better if you have:
- Experience developing a platform
- Experience developing a database
- Experience working in a DevOps environment
- Experience working in a customer focused environment
- Loves database technologies
- Experience with relational databases: Oracle, MySQL, MariaDB, MS SQLServer
Our technology stack:
ServiceNow Platform technology stack:
Environment & Build Environments:
Where you'll get to work
San Diego office location is fantastic and include a modern working environment, snacks, drinks and catered happy hours.
The San Diego office has a fully loaded (free) gym and have a discounted kitchen on-site.
Why ServiceNow is a great place to work
- A stocked kitchen/café including sodas, snacks, teas and coffee
- A very generous benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance
- An unlimited paid vacation policy that doesn't limit vacation or personal days
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at (408) 501-8550, or email@example.com for assistance.