Director, Content Architecture and Engineering | 23482
Job Title: Director of Content Architecture and Engineering
Location: Santa Clara, CA or San Diego, CA
This position reports to: Sr Director, Product Content
Work matters. It’s where we spend a third of our lives. And the workplace of the future is going to be a great place. We’re dedicated to bringing that to life for people everywhere. That’s why we put people at the heart of everything we do.
People matter. Our people have a passion for learning, building, and innovating. Whether you’re an engineer, a sales professional, a finance professional, or anything in-between, our roles aim to provide each person with meaningful impact and plenty of space to grow.
Embedded in the Experience Organization and working closely with its sister organizations Insights (User Experience Research) and Product Design, the Product Content group focuses on delivering quality technical content in intelligent ways to enable customer success. We’re working to redefine what a great technical content experience is for enterprise SaaS products.
Leading a growing team of content engineers, toolsmiths, and content architects that supports a large, globally distributed team of technical writers and multimedia content developers, the Director of Content Architecture and Engineering will play a central role in shaping and executing our content strategy for customer-facing technical product documentation.
What you get to do in this role:
- Develop, extend, and lead a content architecture capability responsible for the continued maintenance and refinement of ServiceNow’s DITA implementation, including content models, templates, usage guidelines, training, and content architecture review and change control processes.
- Lead an Agile-based, Dev-Ops-style content engineering team that:
- Configures and maintains our authoring, content quality, and content management tools
- Builds our DITA-based content and publishes it to our Zoomin-hosted documentation site
- Configures, enhances, tests, monitors, and maintains the documentation site
- Recommend and oversee execution of technology stack/tools implementations or enhancements (e.g., CCMS implementation).
- Manage external vendor relations with tool and service providers.
- Work with Product Content localization lead, content engineering team, and enterprise Internationalization team to develop mature round-trip processes for moving content through localization workflow.
- Develop delivery channel requirements to improve the presentation and findability of information and improve user experience.
- Work with product engineering to develop content management, delivery, and publishing processes to support new in-product content delivery channels.
- Work with internal federated search and information architecture/taxonomy groups to align with enterprise systems and standards and to facilitate/optimize the discoverability of product documentation in other channels.
- Collaborate with other content-creating groups on aspects of enterprise content strategy, including content management, reuse, cross-linking, and governance strategies.
- Drive awareness of product documentation content strategy.
- Stay abreast of industry trends in content engineering and tools, content management, content delivery, and the user experience of information and provide thought leadership on integrating new approaches as appropriate.
In order to be successful in this role, we need someone who has:
- At least 10 years of experience in information development (product documentation) in a high-tech industry, preferably in a SaaS environment, with at least 5 years of direct responsibility for content architecture.
- At least 7 years of DITA experience, including responsibility for defining and enforcing usage guidelines, information types, templates.
- At least 5 years managing or leading content- or technology-related teams.
- Experience driving content transformation and/or technology change initiatives.
- Proven success collaborating across multiple teams and functions.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with your peer group and lead by influence.
- Experience working with globally distributed and diverse teams.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
- Established track record of providing exemplary levels of service to peers, colleagues, and customers.
- History of building strong relationships across organizations.
- Demonstrated skill in mentoring and coaching and the ability to interact and collaborate with colleagues at all technical & business levels.
- Dynamic, energetic, motivated, positive outlook with the ability to prioritize responsibilities
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at (408) 501-8550, or email@example.com for assistance.